Do Cake Pans Ever Wear Out?

Decorating By theCword Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 2:44am by Narie

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 4

How long do cake pans usually last?

I have a couple of 9 inch cuisinart that have lasted several years but haven't used them THAT much.

I just bought me a pair of 14 inch magic lines on CL. I paid about $6 for both. The lady I bought them from did cakes and was selling some of her supplies. They have normal wear and tear but they're in 1 piece. Just wondering when you know that your pans are done.

Oh and I'll be baking in the MLs for the 1st time TONIGHT! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 4

The 8" Wilton pans I own were bought over 10 years ago. They still work fine!

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 2:18am
post #3 of 4

You pans are "done" when they are dented or warped. Effectively, when the surface of the pan leaves marks on the surface of the baked cake that you have to fix ..

I have cake pans that I inherited from a selection of relatives and friends that are 25-35 years old. As long as you look after the pan - no banging, no poking, no over-heating etc, and no shoving them in the cupboard - they should last a life-time.

This does not account for "surfaced" pans eg non-stick etc..

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 2:44am
post #4 of 4

I have a pair of 9 inch round pans I bought nearly forty years ago at a cake supply store. I have no idea as to their brand but barring a small amount of discoloration they look brand new. Like Auzzi I have pans that I inherited from my grandmother and mother. Treat them well and they will last several lifetimes.

Ok- the ones with the non- stick surface, those I kill within a 2 years.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%