Good Idea To Send New Customer Coupon Off Next Order?

Business By CupcakeQT82 Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 5:46pm by ajwonka

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 12

I'm new in the business, and I was wondering if to built my clientele and return customers, if it would be a good idea to use a coupon. I have a wedding this weekend for 100 cupcakes. To show my appreciation I was thinking of mailing them a coupon for 20% off their next order whether cupcake or cake. Is this a good idea or could it somehow backfire on me? This would of course be a one-time use. TIA icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

11 replies
JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 12

I normally don't use coupons/give discounts for these reasons:

1. If you're giving a discount to someone who is already buying from you, you aren't gaining new customers...you're just charging your current customers less.
2. Discounts basically tell customers that your regular price is more than it needs to be.
3. Why give money away if you don't have to?

The only time I even consider giving a discount is for very large orders....very large! Or, of course, if I make a mistake and give a refund, but that really isn't a "discount."

Anyway, if you want to offer 20% off, make sure you have a 20% cushion built into your regular price so that you are still making money on the order.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 12

Discounts and coupons should not be necessary unless you are trying to compete on price. If you need more business, I would take that 20% discount you were going to hand over to the customer and spend it on advertising instead.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 12

I send all my brides a hand writting thank you note the week after their wedding. Almost all the them respond back with an email - this email lets me know how everything went (so far so good with happy brides). Once I know that everything went well I ask them to leave me a review and post a link in the email to a site that allows reviews to be left. Once the review is left I send them a 10% off coupon thanking them for the review.

I think 20% is a high discount.

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

I send all my brides a hand writting thank you note the week after their wedding. Almost all the them respond back with an email - this email lets me know how everything went (so far so good with happy brides). Once I know that everything went well I ask them to leave me a review and post a link in the email to a site that allows reviews to be left. Once the review is left I send them a 10% off coupon thanking them for the review.

I think 20% is a high discount.

This is an excellent idea! I really like the hand-written thank-you note. It is a good way to get feedback. I don't have a website yet- just a facebook business page. I suppose I could have them leave me feedback on there. Then if feedback is left I like the 10% off idea.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 12

If you're looking for feedback I recommend Yelp.com, it's a great source of independent reviews. Reviews on Yelp carry more weight than Facebook since you can't delete negative reviews on Yelp.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 12

Wedding wire is a great website that allows vendors a free listing. This listing is one of the best listings there is, let alone the fact it is free. Brides can leave reviews on your listing there. I really like this website because it deals with brides and for me weddings are where the $$ is.

Another option is Google Places. Also free, also allows reviews.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 11:28am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

I normally don't use coupons/give discounts for these reasons:

1. If you're giving a discount to someone who is already buying from you, you aren't gaining new customers...you're just charging your current customers less.
2. Discounts basically tell customers that your regular price is more than it needs to be.
3. Why give money away if you don't have to?

Well said. As a rule, I also don't like giving away coupons to bring in new customers. For the most part, people who use coupons are only interested in price. They won't come back unless they have another coupon. For those customers your price is always discounted. It may work well for large stores but they have a cu$hion that smaller businesses don't have.

cakecoachonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecoachonline Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 12

The way you can make a coupon even more effective is to put a time limited date on it - so that it cannot be used beyond a certain time. This would mean that you could drive sales to your business if you specifically wanted to make more easter cakes or any other special occasion cakes. You could also use the coupon idea to have an offer for a standard cake for a special occasion (so not individually designed) - like Mothers Day, and if people would not normally order at this time, just build the coupon value into the price of the standard special offer cake to start with, so that you are in fact not doing it for much cheaper. People love to think they are getting a bargain. Just an idea!

LorienSkye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorienSkye Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 12

I also don't do coupons, however I *do* have a loyalty program. The name of my business is Legacy Cakes and I call it the "legacy loyalty" program. I find that for my area and at my price point, people tend to come to me for their landmark event cakes but stick with less costly simple cakes from local delis/ grocery stores for run-of-the-mill events. I wanted to try to capture this business and get clients to come to me for all of their cake needs, so I offer a $10 voucher toward a future purchase after a certain number of orders ( the $10 usually amounts to 10-15% based on my average order cost). I agree that 20% is a very large discount to offer in this business.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 3:53pm
post #11 of 12

Indydebi had a great program when she had her catering biz. For every bride who referred a new customer who booked her reception catering, the referring bride got a 5% credit on a future purchase. The way brides talk, a few brides had enough credits to get a free wedding cake. And Indy had several more events booked. The brides did all the marketing for her. Win-Win!!

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:46pm
post #12 of 12

I had postcards made with a picture of one of my favorite cakes on the front. I write a thank you note for every single order! It's a personal touch that sets me apart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%