Need Some Tips On How To Make The Topper For This Cake...

Decorating By stacerz4life Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 8:50pm by dchinda

stacerz4life Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 8

I am wondering how to make the pink piece that is standing up up with a candle in it. It is fondant, or gumpaste? And how do I make it hard enough to stand upright and insert a candle securely? Someone has asked that I make something sort of like this.

Thanks!

Image[/img]

7 replies
AKS Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 8

Use a clay gun without the disc in it or roll a snake of gumpaste or 50/50, rolling the edges to make it tapered then shape. When it starts to harden slightly, push toothpicks in the bottom. Dry and insert into cake. HTH.

DivaJai Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 8

I too have been wondering about this for quite sometime. I believe I asked and never recieved a response so thank you AKS for answering and thank you Stacerz for asking icon_smile.gif

dchinda Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 8

I just made a monogrammed wedding topper & used fondant & added tylose to make it dry quicker. You can see it in my gallery, its the most recent black/white wedding cake. I inserted floral wire at the bottom for stability. I then insert the bottom of the wires in to coffee stirrers & use royal icing or melted chocolate to keep the wires secured in the coffee stirrers. Then insert the coffee stirrers in the cake so the wires don't touch any part of the cake. HTH.

DivaJai Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for sharing alternative methods dchinda. icon_smile.gif Did you also use the same method to put the stars on this cake? If so how did you attach the stars to the top without them falling off or losing shape? Your work is very nice BTW icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2035843

dchinda Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaJai

Thanks for sharing alternative methods dchinda. icon_smile.gif Did you also use the same method to put the stars on this cake? If so how did you attach the stars to the top without them falling off or losing shape? Your work is very nice BTW icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2035843

Thank you for the compliment.
Yes, I used the same technique on the stars. You have to roll out the fondant/gumpaste thick enough to slide the wire in to the star shape. Then lay them flat to dry. I actually used lollipop stick for the number 16 & glued them to the back of number with melted chocolate. I actually prefer using the wires instead. I forgot to mention that I used my extruder for the letters on the monogram to ensure the same thickness.

DivaJai Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 8

Awesome tips! I will be sure to try this on my godson's 7th birthday cake... I am going to pick up an extruder this weekend. One more question (maybe a dumb one) how do you get the melted chocolate in the stirrer?

dchinda Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaJai

Awesome tips! I will be sure to try this on my godson's 7th birthday cake... I am going to pick up an extruder this weekend. One more question (maybe a dumb one) how do you get the melted chocolate in the stirrer?

You melt the chocolate in a baggie & just cut the tip off & gently squeeze it like a piping bag in to the stirrer. Or you can melt some in a disposable piping bag & use a # 1 or 2 tip to pipe in in to the stirrer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%