What Is This Technique Called??

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 3:16am by cambo

mindy1204 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:10am
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to do a 50 anniversary cake. They want it to replicate the original wedding cake. From what I can tell by the photo it looks like the cakes that the icing is just put on and not smoothed out. Almost like spackle but I cant find that when seaching for it.

I am not sure how else to expain it. I know it is done with a big spatula and the icing is find of pulled away and fluffy.

Does this ring a bell to anyone? I want to show them the cake I have in mind and see if it is close to the cake the want.

7 replies
Stacey75 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:18am
post #2 of 8

maybe they really whipped it

cakelady2266 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:25am
post #3 of 8

I think the term is "rough iced" or "spatula iced". There are lots of pictures listed like that in the wedding cake galleries.

Elcee Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:32am
post #4 of 8

You might try searching the galleries for rough iced and see if that brings up the style you're looking for.

KodiSnip Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:38am
post #5 of 8
Shells_Sweets Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:39am
post #6 of 8

It sounds like what is called "rustic" icing. I hope that helps!

mindy1204 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:51am
post #7 of 8

You guys are awesome.. just what i was looking for Thank you..

The picture is so hard to tell but i think that is what is it

cambo Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:16am
post #8 of 8

This is a cake I made a good while back that is rough-iced....but it may be a little "flatter" than what you want....but an idea!


Quote by @%username% on %date%