Gold Ribbons

Decorating By Leikeilana Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 2:03am by Leikeilana

Leikeilana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leikeilana Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:31am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone:

I think im posting in the right forum. I hope so.

We have this upcoming birthday saturday and the client wants a cake that looks like a gift. we can do it. But her colors are green and gold.

For those who have done a similar concept. Did you use fondant for the ribbon? What colors can we mix to get something close to gold? AND how do you get the ribbon to stand up(stiffen)

thanks icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:34am
post #2 of 7

Use gumpaste for the ribbon and let it dry before applying to the cake. If you tint it yellow, you can use a paintbrush to paint it with "luster" dust mixed with Vodka or Everclear.

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with daisy. You have to make your ribbon ahead of time to give it time to harden. And the luster dust works great.

Leikeilana Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 12:48am
post #4 of 7

hi guys thanks alot, would you be able to share your gumpaste recipe, this will be the first for us. In the islands the recent phase is fondanticon_smile.gif

Also what do you mean about dust? is there anything that can be substituted. Im not sure if I will be able to find dust...icon_sad.gif

thanks for your help.

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:12am
post #5 of 7

Americolor has a gold gel color I would use that first then use the airbrush gold color

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:26am
post #6 of 7

If you don,t have americolor gel(which is great) then make your ribbon with white g/p or fonant and g/p mixed. Let it dry really good. Michaels has gold luster dust. There are so many brand names. mix the gold dust wtih vodka or everclear or pure lemon ext. and paint your bow. That will work really well also. hth

Leikeilana Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 2:03am
post #7 of 7

Thank for your help but I am not in the states, australia or Canada, very far from there, the only thing we have in Fiji is food coloring and homemade fondant.

I guess we will see what we can do, can anyone share their gumpaste recipe?

thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%