I Hate My Job. :(

Lounge By weidertm24 Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 2:57pm by Kiddiekakes

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:23am
post #1 of 11

Sorry just need to vent. I'm only 20 and have already had a number of jobs. I've been working since before I could drive. I have never hated working ever. And my current job is awful. I work 3-9 Monday - Friday so I have no life. It's seriously the hardest thing ever. I basically don't have friends anymore because of this schedule and I can't Find another job. I've been trying and trying and nothing. I can't afford a pay cut because I have bills to pay and I'm just making ends meet. All my friends go out at night and do stuff then by the time I get home and change to go out it's near 10 so I never get to do anything. I really want to start my career in decorating but there's not a lot near me. I love decorating cakes and it's something I reapply enjoy. Trust me I get really discouraged and want to give up all the tome but after seeing the final product although not great yet it's still rewarding. The only thing I get out of this job is my measly paycheck. Just needed to vent and everyone on here is so great!

10 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:43am
post #2 of 11

Oh, hon, I'm sorry. It really sucks to dread going to work every day. I can't think of anything to say except keep on plugging away until you find something else. And you WILL find something else, I promise. The good thing about your hours is that you're available during the day to interview. Is there someone at work you can socialize with?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 5:21am
post #3 of 11

This too shall pass...

Entry jobs and jobs usually held by young people with less work experience are typically the worst hours. I'll bet some of those friends out partying don't have jobs in this economy.

Elcee is right. Most companies will not interview anyone who does not currently have a job, so you are already high up on the applicant list of a new job because of this.

Now the mom part... when I was your age I had two jobs and I did that for most of my adult life. I had a full commission job where I set my own hours and I owned my own business. All of my peers thought it was stupid of me. I also drove old cars and flipped old houses. Then about ten years later, we had a huge old colonial home and a new car. We paid cash for the car and had a small mortgage on the house. Looking back, I don't remember the work. Did I mention I had three daughters?

You can do whatever you want to do. It just might not be easy. Most good things aren't.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 11

On the bright side, you have weekends off and a set schedule.

I never had a job with weekends off. When I was 20 I was managing a convenience store and working 80 hours a week. The pay was okay...I had enough for rent, car payment and bills. Working that many hours started affecting my health after a year or so.

You didn't mention school, but you should look into it, especially if you're still living with your parents and don't have as many bills yet as someone who lives on her own. Your work schedule would be perfect for taking morning classes, and you would meet people to socialize with at school, while working on a degree so you can get a job you do care about, or at least one that you like a little bit better.

Another thing, most people aren't crazy about their jobs. They just do them because they need the money. That's why people have hobbies...if they loved what they did at work, they wouldn't need something else fun to do to look forward to. My husband is the only person I know who really loves his job...he works long hours, never knows what time he'll get home, comes home dirty and sometimes bruised or cut, lifts more than 5000 lbs of stuff throughout the day while loading his truck, doesn't get weekends off, doesn't get overtime until he's worked more than 52 hours in the week, and he's still crazy about his job...but he's not normal icon_biggrin.gif

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 11

You and everyone else icon_smile.gif

You are probably resenting that your friends get to go out during the week. You have Saturday to still do things with your friends and if you wanted you could meet them for lunch since u cant do dinners and things during the week.

As far as decorating all day you can see if a bakery is hiring and work morning hours or something. Having your own cake business sounds like fun until the business side comes into it.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 11

Texas_Rose is right: Most people don't really like their jobs. I am not a huge fan of mine. But it pays well, and I'm good at it, so I keep doing it. How else am I going to pay for all the cool cake toys?!

But eventually you'll find something else that's better. But I do agree that the shift you have is a killer on your social life. I preferred getting the 12-8 shift when I was your age instead of that one.

FiveAlarmBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FiveAlarmBakery Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:17am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

This too shall pass...

Entry jobs and jobs usually held by young people with less work experience are typically the worst hours. I'll bet some of those friends out partying don't have jobs in this economy.

Elcee is right. Most companies will not interview anyone who does not currently have a job, so you are already high up on the applicant list of a new job because of this.

This is true. Most companies wont even take an interview with you unless you have a job, or have been in the job for longer than 4 to 6 months. So having a job right now is the best part.

I feel you on not being able to find anything. It's a long hard road to find something new in this crazy economy. Take solace in the fact that the holiday season is coming up though, and a lot of places are looking to hire people for morning stock. It might not sound super exciting, but it does pay well, and you can get a decent schedule if you ask for what days you want.

Also, think outside the box when looking for a position. Think of things youd never realized you could apply for, because you probably can apply for it.

Sorry to hear that the social life is not as exciting as you'd like it to be. I have to say that at 20, I was working two full time jobs, and going to a university full time, so the only time I socialized was at school. Even then, I worked so much it was still few and far between.

As you get older though, you'll appreciate the fact that you put in the hours at your job (no matter how crap they are) because you'll have the experience to move up (maybe not in the job youre in, but in another job that wants to hire someone with lots of experience in anything).

Good Luck in the job hunt, I'll put you on my "good juju to the universe for a new job" list. My friends and I have been praying that something will come up for a bunch of us, so I'll add you in too!! icon_smile.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 2:52am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

Texas_Rose is right: Most people don't really like their jobs. I am not a huge fan of mine. But it pays well, and I'm good at it, so I keep doing it. How else am I going to pay for all the cool cake toys?!

But eventually you'll find something else that's better. But I do agree that the shift you have is a killer on your social life. I preferred getting the 12-8 shift when I was your age instead of that one.

I have a full-time job and a smaller PRN job (just saturday mornings). My second little job's paychecks are what pays for my cake stuff. The only good thing about the FT job I have is it's great money and security. (I work in healthcare). Keep your chin up and keep plugging along. At least you have a job right now...many people don't!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 11

I was in your boat for a few years sweetie. Keep sending those resumes. Look into school. Check with your local community center to see if they offer career building classes. My sister in law checked out a temp agency that offered free computer classes and free assessments to determine which line of work is best for you. My husband got his current job through a temp agency. He was hired through the agency for 3 months, but then at the end the company hired him directly.

I finally got out of my dreaded job because my aunt knew someone that owned their own bakery. She showed them pics of my work and i was offered a job. I'm telling you this because while it is very important to keep sending out resumes and calling employers, it's also who you know that's important. Let your family and friends know that you're looking for a new job and something might happen.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:02pm
post #10 of 11

Ditto... I was also working 2-3 jobs with lousy hours at 20 yrs old (and crummy jobs at that). I think that is what motivates a person to take action such as making a commitment to further education or start your own business. So, I would say: start planning for what YOU are going to do to change things if you don't like your current situation.
I am now 40+, educated and really like my job. I am finally where I want to be after 20+ years of hard work! But I don't absolutely LUV my job cause it's a job and there are parts that suck!
I love my life but my job is not my life. Too many people expect their jobs to fufill them. Well, a job is a job - you have to fulfill yourself. Even if you were decorating, it's still a job, you still have to get up early, go to 'work' and be there when you would rather be somewhere else.
They say that you never have to work a day in your life if you love what you do. I say that's bull. Work is work. Liking/loving your job does help, though! I'd recommend filling your 'free time' (you have no kids so you actually still have some) with things you like to do like decorating. And if you really want to try it as a career, then start researching and taking steps to make it happen. You can start here - you have a great tool - internet (which we never had) and lots of great advice at your fingertips, from decorators in the business on this site.I wish you all the best! icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:57pm
post #11 of 11

Oh those days..I too was working 2 jobs at 17 and going to college full time...I would go to school during the day and work at night..Hard...The social life suffered too but what can yah do...the friends don't stick around forever and everyone moves away or on to bigger and better things..It will get better...just be glad that you have a job right now...Chin up!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%