Oklahoma Cottage Food Law Bill

Decorating By sweetteacher Updated 26 Aug 2013 , 8:44pm by cookiebaker1

sweetteacher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetteacher Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:13am
post #1 of 15

Today I talked face to face with my representative in the state legislature, Wade Rousselot,about a cottage food bill. I talked with him about my discussion with the county health department about how I could remodel my detached garage to meet current requirements but that I could not sell enough cakes in my small town to pay for that. He seemed genuinely interested. Of course, I named as many states as I could remember that already have such a bill. This evening I sent him an email containing a link to the Texas Cottage Food Bill website so he could read their bill, www.texascottagefoodlaw.com. He talked about how new legislation needs to be ready to start the process before December. So if you are interested in such a law for OK, please contact your legislators now.

14 replies
1cakeup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1cakeup Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 15

I'll do that, thanks for the info!

Amy33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy33 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 15

Does anyone have any update on a cottage food law in oklahoma? I would like to help anyone who has already started the process or start it if some people have given up..

thanks!

Sugarlovins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendra_83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 15

Just doing a quick search, but looks like the house passed the bill and it moves to the Senate tomorrow?

kendra_83 Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 15

Looks like the law could go into effect Novemer 2013 if passed in Senate, which seems likely since it passed unanimously in the House.

http://www.okhouse.gov/Media/News_Story.aspx?NewsID=4616

justme50 Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 15

That's the way it looks to me. This bill is so much better than anything they've tried to pass before. The last one was so costly to the taxpayer and home baker it was ridiculous. I have no clue how long it will take the Senate to get to a vote on it- wheels move slowly, but I've got my fingers crossed!

justme50 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 15

AThe bill passed the Senate today. Now its back to the house and hopefully they'll agree to the changes and it will go to the Governor.

justme50 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 10:13pm
post #11 of 15

Sent to the Governor for signing today. One more step and home baking is legal in  Oklahoma! No silly limits on the number of home bakeries, no inspections, no fees to bakers or cost to the taxpayers and a reasonable 20k per year income cap.

kendra_83 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 15

Oklahoma Home Bakery Act has been signed by Governor Fallin today and will go into effect November 1st.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-governor-signs-home-bakery-act-into-law/article/3786724

okiebker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okiebker Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 12:12am
post #13 of 15

We have already worked on passing this bill.  In it you do not have to have a separate building.  You can bake in your kitchen, using your own oven, not having to have a license or health inspection.  It passed both house and senate and is on the governor's desk to be signed,.

Thank you  We have been working on this for almost a year.  We are so thankful.  Rep. Dustin Roberts introduced in the House and it passed.  It went to the Senate and it passed there.

kendra_83 Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 7:43pm
post #14 of 15

Governor Fallin signed it into law on Monday.  If you click the link I posted above you can see the details.

cookiebaker1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiebaker1 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 8:44pm
post #15 of 15

Oklahoma has a cottage food law that goes into effect November 1, 2013.  We are trying to find people who would be interested in starting their own business.  Please contact.  Please contact Southeastern Oklahoma University in Durant, OH and talk to the Small Business Office.  We are holding classes on this very thing and it shows how people can start their own business, set it up, pay taxes, gives ideas on who to sell to, what to sell, advertising, and other information that may be helpful to anyone in Oklahoma who is interested in helping.  My name is Mary Jane Newlon and I would like to help anyone who may be interested.  Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%