Need Cake Ideas Please

Decorating By azchic Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 8:11am by krumbledkakes

azchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azchic Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 12

We just moved to a new town and this morning I woke up to find our neighbor mowing our front lawn. We've been trying to borrow a truck to go buy a lawn mower but just haven't been able to organize it yet. Turns out all of our neighbors take turns mowing each others lawns. I would really like to make a special cake for each of our neighbors. I'm so touched by their kindness I want to make something special that they will love but I'm stumped for ideas. What would be something very special and unique that would go over well for anyone. I don't know their tastes or favorites since we just met them but I do know they have small kids like us. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help

11 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 12

You could do a sort of reverse joke. Make the top of the cake all tall grass (e.g., with a grass tip or a clay gun) and have a few heads peeping out above the top of the grass and a couple of kiddies crawling out of the grass and about to fall over the edge.

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 12

Why not make them each a dozen cupcakes (or 1/2 dozen) with an assortment of flavors in each set?

instant-gratificaketion Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 12

Then do little decorations on top of each cupcake...

instant-gratificaketion Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

You could do a sort of reverse joke. Make the top of the cake all tall grass (e.g., with a grass tip or a clay gun) and have a few heads peeping out above the top of the grass and a couple of kiddies crawling out of the grass and about to fall over the edge.

Ooooh, I like this idea, I was more focusing on the flavor preference thing. icon_smile.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:04am
post #6 of 12

Or, have a party and make cupcakes with the tall grass frosting and each one has a different head peeking out--mayabe you could make them look like your neighbors (flattering them, of course). icon_smile.gif

azchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azchic Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:49am
post #7 of 12

Such great ideas thank you! What kind of flavors would you guys do for cupcakes? It's still summer I was thinking maybe lemon with strawberry filling I also make a good chocolate covered Oreo cake that is popular.

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:54am
post #8 of 12

You could make them each a cute little lawnmower cupcake. I made these for father's day this year and everybody loved them (even the men!)

http://www.easy-cake-decorating.com/lawnmower-cupcake.html

Maybe you could also put each neighbour's house number on the cupcake somwhere that they will get?? Just throwing some ideas out there icon_biggrin.gif I made an almond vanilla cupcake with vanilla buttercream icing and they were really yummy!

instant-gratificaketion Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 12

The standards are always good...chocolate, vanilla, chocolate, lemon, chocolate, strawberry, chocolate...obviously my favorite is carrot...HAHAHA jk. Little joke. Very little. That's why I suggested cupcakes, you could do a few diff flavors and just do a couple of each flavor to each neighbor/household.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 12

that lawnmower cuppy is a cute idea. You could probably do a nicer one out of fondant and pipe the 'grass' on the cuppy w/the grass tip (is it 322 OR 233?)
that way you can make each batch of cuppies a different flavor. Dont' know how many you need but one for each person in the family should mean at least a couple of dzn icon_smile.gif

Only other idea I thought of is a 6" round for each family - the top w/long 'grass' on either side and a 'path' in the middle (cut grass). Put a mower in there. Again you can get 3 (maybe4) 6" single layers from each cake mix/recipe so you could make a couple ofr flavors.

SomethingSweetByFlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SomethingSweetByFlo Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 12

If you want to be safe with a flavor, I would pick Vanilla and vanilla butter cream! Everyone likes that flavor and its a classic!

For the cake design idea, I would make a sheet cake, cover it with green grass (butter cream) and have a lawn mower that has cut out the words "Thank You". You can either make your own little lawn mower or just buy a toy one in your local toy store!

Invite them over for cake a coffee icon_smile.gif

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 8:11am
post #12 of 12

Aww, how nice of them! Maybe make them an assortment of cupcakes, cookies, and maybe cakepops. Get a cute little basket with a few little toys for thier children, and make a few of the traditionaly summery flavors in each batch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%