Help!!!!

Baking By Ilener Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 12:31am by Ilener

Ilener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ilener Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 12

Im making a fondant covered cake... I made my fondant from marshmellos yesterday today i am trying to roll it out and it seems
to be tearing very easily... its hard for me to pick it up and flip it
cause it tears What do i need to do to fix this problem?

11 replies
mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 12

Are you rolling the fondant on The rolling, Then putting it on the cake. Or are you trying to pick it up and flip it??

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 12

Try to knead in some shortening, it seems to be dry.

Ilener Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 12

I havent gotten to the part where you put it on the cake yet.... Im having issues rolling it out icon_sad.gif It doesnt seem to be dry it actually seems a bit runny and keeps tearing when i lift it to flip it so i can roll it out more

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 12

I never have any luck using the marshmallow recipe. Especially in the summer! Ive used Michele Foster's recipe in the recipe section and have never had a problem with it. It always rolls out really nice and thin and tastes really good too. But if I dont have time to make it I will by Fondx or Wilton if Im desperate. You could try buying a small thing of the Wilton fondant and mixing it with your own and that might help the consistancy on it.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:37am
post #6 of 12

I use MMF all the time without any issue. Try dusting your counter surface with some powdered sugar and knead until it becomes smooth adding more until you reach the desired consistency.

If it's particularly humid today where you live that could be the culprit and more humidity means the mmf will most likely need more ps than when it's dry out.

Don't give up. Kneading in some more sugar should help if it's "runny" and tearing easily.

If it becomes too dry, you can nuke it for 10 seconds at a time to soften it up.

It's not a total loss, you can rectify this.

Good luck!

katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:52am
post #7 of 12

Im with cakestyles on this, def add some powdered sugar and I always nuke mine for about 10-15 seconds. makes it way easier to handle. good luck!

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 12

U have to add glucose , kneed it again and u will find a waaaw fondant

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 12

I have just found that I can't depend on the marshmallow fondant, sometimes it works, sometimes not. I would rather use the premade fondant and use jennifer dontz recipe of adding white chocolate into it, I can always depend on it working.

Ilener Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 12

It just seems to be very runny... n hard to work with... I cant pick it up and flip it cause it tears do i add more sugar?

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 11:46pm
post #11 of 12

If by "runny" you mean wet, than yes add more powdered sugar and knead until smooth.

Ilener Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 12:31am
post #12 of 12

Not wet but if i hold it up it will like drip down

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%