Need Help With Cake Recipes

Baking By mythreegirls Updated 14 Dec 2011 , 6:44am by Apti

mythreegirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mythreegirls Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 11

I am trying to find the perfect cake recipe and filling to make my wedding cake, I have tried a couple and they did not give me the taste I wanted I am wanting a white cake with strawberry filling and another cake chocolate with a raspberry filling, do you have any recipe suggestions? I am also looking for a good crusting buttercream recipe..I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. I took this on with just a little decorating experience, but want to make a good impression on my family as I am making my first tiered cake and read this sight regularly and have learned alot from your tips

10 replies
Shelley51708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley51708 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 11

There are several good recipes here on CC in the Recipes section you might want to try.

Shelley51708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley51708 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 11

For a strawberry filling, I use a whipped icing, then chop up fresh strawberries, mix them together and let it set overnight. It seems to firm up very well, but I don't how it will hold up for a wedding cake....

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 11

Do you want scratch recipes or doctored box?

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 11

I swear by the wasc for my white cake! I've made it literally hundreds of times and everyone, EVERYONE, loves it! Good luck!

jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 11

For the cakes I too LOVE the WASC from this site and the Extreme Chocolate cake recipe from allrecipes.com. For the fillings I used the Raspberry Mousse Filling II from this site which you can use for both the raspberry and strawberry. Good luck!!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2030/rasberry-mousse-filling-ii

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 11

For chocolate cake I LOVE this chocolate cake with raspberry preserve filling I posted about.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-719821-.html

It does take quite a while to make though and is fairly expensive if you were making it to serve lots of people

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 11

This vanilla bean cake is AWESOME - I got this from a friend, and every time I make it I eat all of the scraps. http://katssweetsomethings.com/recipes/cakes-cupcakes/ (last recipe on the page).

AND the Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake recipe on that page has been the biggest success I've ever had with a chocolate cake. You can take or leave the chocolate chips, but everyone that I know who has eaten it has loved it, INCLUDING people who don't like chocolate cake.

I also have a strawberry buttercream that I love using - I make the buttercream and then put diced strawberries on top of it when I'm constructing the cake. If you look here: http://katssweetsomethings.com/recipes/frostings-buttercreams-whipped-creams/ I make the Vanilla Italian Meringue Buttercream (last on the page) and then substitute strawberry extract for vanilla, and add in pureed strawberries to the finished product until it tastes just like I want.

Wow - now I'm kind of having a craving for cake.

mythreegirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mythreegirls Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you all for your replies, I am willing to make from scratch or doctored box mix, I will check out all the links you gave, I greatly appreciate all your help

freebestrecipes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freebestrecipes Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 5:01am
post #10 of 11

For me, Chocolate and orange is a great combo, but I have never had it in a wedding cake. I think you could do a white cake with orange liquer flavoring and a chocolate mousse filling. Its very delicious, have a try once. Thanks.

dessert recipes

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 6:44am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythreegirls

I am trying to find the perfect cake recipe and filling to make my wedding cake, I have tried a couple and they did not give me the taste I wanted I am wanting a white cake with strawberry filling and another cake chocolate with a raspberry filling, do you have any recipe suggestions? I am also looking for a good crusting buttercream recipe..

There are a million choices and a million recommendations that can be made. I am giving my reply based on your statement that you are fairly new to cake decorating/baking and will need a no-fail, tasty recipe for your wedding.

I have been doing this as a hobby for 2 years now. I have several tried and true recipes that work VERY consistently and all get excellent reviews. My choice is to use doctored cake mix rather than scratch so I will always have a consistent result. I strongly suggest that you make one of each of these cakes and see what you think. You will not be disappointed.

(These are versions of cake recipes from the book: The Cake Mix Doctor, by Anne Byrn, ISBN: 0761117199)

Sour Cream White Cake
1 package (18.25 oz.) Duncan Hines white cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup canola oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure almond (you can also used vanilla, lemon, etc.) extract

Basic Buttermilk Devil's Food Cake
1 pkg (18.25 oz.) devil's food cake mix (any brand)
3 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup canola oil
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

INDYDEBI CRISCO-BASED BUTTERCREAM--(Excellent for hot/humid areas):
(IndyDebi is a very experienced decorator/caterer: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/)
Single Batch Recipe:
1-1/3 cups Crisco (BETTER: store brand shortening with 3 grams of trans-fats, or BEST, a specialty cake supply product called high-ratio shortening. As of 2010 Crisco no longer contains trans-fats.)
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on personal taste (optional: almond extract, or lemon extract )
2 lbs. powdered pure cane sugar
IndyDebi says: There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar & milk for a minute or two, then gradually alternate the sugar & milk, but the only reason I do this is to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.
NOTE: Based on recommendations from other users of her recipe: 1) I make a double batch so the beaters are totally immersed to avoid air bubbles, 2) I beat the shortening, milk, Dream Whip, and vanilla for 10-15 minutes BEFORE I add the powdered sugar. I refrigerate or freeze leftover icing.

--------------------------------

Since you do not want your cake too wet or to have filling that will require refrigeration, I suggest you use sleeve fillings for the strawberry and raspberry. They are very good and are room temperature stable.
https://www.slice-heaven.com/store/show/SF76K4153
https://www.slice-heaven.com/store/show/RRF76K4152

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%