Help.....with Modeling Chocolate..please..

Decorating By mommynana Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 1:54am by gidgetdoescakes

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 10

I have made it a few times, And I dont know whats wrong. I hate wasting money But im trying.. I melted white chips It was a 14 oz bag. And almost 1/3 cup of corn syrup. Layed it on saran wrap, Patted the oil with a paper towel, Let it sit till the next day, took a piece, kneed it. That went well. Rolled it no problem, But if i try to make a rose and i try to stretch out the pedel all around the edge it cracks. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG. Please Help. I am so frustrated.

9 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 10

The roses on my wedding cake with blue draping are candy clay. I dont roll it out and use cutters, I roll in in a ball and flatten it with my fingers (youtube video, how to make roses without cutters) to make the petals. I keep a little cornstarch sprinkled on my mat so when my fingers get sticky, I dip them in the cornstarch.

mommynana Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 10

bakingatthebeach, Sorry If i did`t express myself right, But thats What i try to do, But like i said when i press the chocolate down, it cracks all around the top edge. BTY your roses are absolutly beautiful !!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 10

Separating, cracking clay might indicate either overheating the chocolate and/or stirring too briskly when combining with the corn syrup. Modeling chocolate really shouldn't separate badly. When too much oil separates out, you're left with a dry, crumbly product. That goes for chocolate or candy melts.

mommynana Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:06am
post #5 of 10

ibmoser, Thank you so much for your reply, Im going to have to try it again im determent to get it right

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:32am
post #6 of 10

You removed excess oil before letting it set? It may be too dry, let it set and come to room temp, and then try kneading it. I have never patted mine dry and I make it weekly with no problems!

mommynana Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:39am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

You removed excess oil before letting it set? It may be too dry, let it set and come to room temp, and then try kneading it. I have never patted mine dry and I make it weekly with no problems!

I did remove the exces oil,before i wraped it, Is that what i did wrong? Should i have removed any oil at all.? icon_cry.gif

jennajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennajane Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:39am
post #8 of 10

I have also never need to remove excess oil when I made modelling chocolate. I would guess it is the chips that are the problem. I would try again with white baking chocolate. Good Luck

mommynana Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:43am
post #9 of 10

thanks Jennajane.

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:54am
post #10 of 10

do you refrigerate it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%