Help.....with Modeling Chocolate..please..

Decorating By mommynana Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 1:54am by gidgetdoescakes

mommynana Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 10

I have made it a few times, And I dont know whats wrong. I hate wasting money But im trying.. I melted white chips It was a 14 oz bag. And almost 1/3 cup of corn syrup. Layed it on saran wrap, Patted the oil with a paper towel, Let it sit till the next day, took a piece, kneed it. That went well. Rolled it no problem, But if i try to make a rose and i try to stretch out the pedel all around the edge it cracks. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG. Please Help. I am so frustrated.

9 replies
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 10

The roses on my wedding cake with blue draping are candy clay. I dont roll it out and use cutters, I roll in in a ball and flatten it with my fingers (youtube video, how to make roses without cutters) to make the petals. I keep a little cornstarch sprinkled on my mat so when my fingers get sticky, I dip them in the cornstarch.

mommynana Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 10

bakingatthebeach, Sorry If i did`t express myself right, But thats What i try to do, But like i said when i press the chocolate down, it cracks all around the top edge. BTY your roses are absolutly beautiful !!

ibmoser Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 10

Separating, cracking clay might indicate either overheating the chocolate and/or stirring too briskly when combining with the corn syrup. Modeling chocolate really shouldn't separate badly. When too much oil separates out, you're left with a dry, crumbly product. That goes for chocolate or candy melts.

mommynana Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:06am
post #5 of 10

ibmoser, Thank you so much for your reply, Im going to have to try it again im determent to get it right

ConfectionsCC Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:32am
post #6 of 10

You removed excess oil before letting it set? It may be too dry, let it set and come to room temp, and then try kneading it. I have never patted mine dry and I make it weekly with no problems!

mommynana Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:39am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

You removed excess oil before letting it set? It may be too dry, let it set and come to room temp, and then try kneading it. I have never patted mine dry and I make it weekly with no problems!

I did remove the exces oil,before i wraped it, Is that what i did wrong? Should i have removed any oil at all.? icon_cry.gif

jennajane Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:39am
post #8 of 10

I have also never need to remove excess oil when I made modelling chocolate. I would guess it is the chips that are the problem. I would try again with white baking chocolate. Good Luck

mommynana Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:43am
post #9 of 10

thanks Jennajane.

gidgetdoescakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:54am
post #10 of 10

do you refrigerate it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%