Email Of The Day

Business By niccicola Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 5:08pm by emiyeric

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 18

HAHA I love my customers!

"I would like to order a topsy turvey cake, black and white with zebra stripes and bling and a \\"V\\" in bling on top if possible. I would like it to be chocolate inside with cookie and creme frosting inside.

I need it for a birthday on this saturday 8/20/11. Is it too late to order? Only need a small cake."

17 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 18

Some people just completely have no idea the time it takes to make any cake never mind a topsy turvy..Just poiltely email back and say that a cake like that requires more notice than 4 days and that you would be happy to do a cake for them for another time with enough advance notice.

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

"I would like to order a topsy turvey cake, black and white with zebra stripes and bling and a \\"V\\" in bling on top if possible. I would like it to be chocolate inside with cookie and creme frosting inside.

I need it for a birthday on this saturday 8/20/11. Is it too late to order? Only need a small cake."

I would have emailed back with a price quote of $2,500 'cause that's how much my time is worth to stay up around the clock for the next three days!

SweetMelissa730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa730 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 18

People just don't understand...

I always get friends calling me "I really need a cake for... tomorrow!" or "Can you do this cake please, I need it for Friday"... on Wednesday!!

And I'm the sucker who usually stays up all night doing it, but I'm wising up... slowly... icon_redface.gif

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:

Only need a small cake."

I'd use a mini and regular sized cupcake..............

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 18

Time to start educating the public. Explain that you will be unable to make such a detailed cake on such short notice, because of previous commitments. Or, if you are not commited, offer an alternative. Get detailed on the hours it takes, so the next time they will know.

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 18

[/quote]

I'd use a mini and regular sized cupcake..............[/quote]

LMAO

That's sooo funny.

howboutbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howboutbake Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 18

ahhh come on! You can totally do it. After all, it's just cake, right? icon_rolleyes.gif

People are funny. Someone wouldn't walk into a seamstress and say "I need a custom made ball gown with crystals, antique lace and the finest italian silks in 4 days and for 15 dollars."

It must be because cake is consumable or something.

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 8:26pm
post #9 of 18

But, but, but WalMart could do it in 4 days! dunce.gif

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 18

[quote="enchantedcreations"]

Quote:

would have emailed back with a price quote of $2,500 'cause that's how much my time is worth to stay up around the clock for the next three days!

I had a call Friday evening for a Coach purse on ...Sunday. I said sure for $450 bucks!

Add before anyone mentiones it, yes, I know Coach is a reigstered trademark and it is illegal to reproduce their images without their consent. I did not say I make these type of cakes. icon_rolleyes.gif

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 18

At least the customer knew what she wanted!!! LOL

enchantedcreations Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 18

[quote="QTCakes1"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedcreations

Quote:

would have emailed back with a price quote of $2,500 'cause that's how much my time is worth to stay up around the clock for the next three days!

I had a call Friday evening for a Coach purse on ...Sunday. I said sure for $450 bucks!

Add before anyone mentiones it, yes, I know Coach is a reigstered trademark and it is illegal to reproduce their images without their consent. I did not say I make these type of cakes. icon_rolleyes.gif

....And what was the response? Inquirying minds want to know. icon_lol.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 10:11pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:

I will accept orders like that if I can. This week, I totally could, and would be thankful. Next week and the week after, no way Jose!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:23pm
post #14 of 18

[quote="enchantedcreations"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedcreations

Quote:

....And what was the response? Inquirying minds want to know. icon_lol.gif

Well first they called and told me they wanted a Coach purse with stilletto shoes. I asked for budget and delivery date. She said money was no problem and for Sunday. I got quiet and asked the date again and she said Sunday. I was like "That is in less then 2 days and will require a lot of extra work and will inccur a large late order fee. And there will be no stilettos as I do not have the time to have them made properly.". She said,"No problem. I said,"$450". She said," can I call you back", cause it was for her sister. I said,"Sure". She called back and said her sister said never mind , but what was my usual price if ordered on time. She was very nice, she just really had her time lines wrong. She was reffered by a repeat customer. icon_biggrin.gif

enchantedcreations Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:03pm
post #15 of 18

....And what was the response? Inquirying minds want to know. icon_lol.gif[/quote]

Well first they called and told me they wanted a Coach purse with stilletto shoes. I asked for budget and delivery date. She said money was no problem and for Sunday. I got quiet and asked the date again and she said Sunday. I was like "That is in less then 2 days and will require a lot of extra work and will inccur a large late order fee. And there will be no stilettos as I do not have the time to have them made properly.". She said,"No problem. I said,"$450". She said," can I call you back", cause it was for her sister. I said,"Sure". She called back and said her sister said never mind , but what was my usual price if ordered on time. She was very nice, she just really had her time lines wrong. She was reffered by a repeat customer. icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

Well, I'm glad they didn't try to talk you down or make some kind of silly remark about it "just being cake". Hopefully, it's a lesson learned and they'll call next time well in advance with a more reasonable request. thanks for replying to my question.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:21pm
post #16 of 18

I emailed and said that I require at least a week's notice on cake orders as I am a one-person business operating a domestic bakery. Because of the nature of this cake and the structural integrity required to make it work, I would need at least that much notice, payment made 2 weeks prior to the event.

She didn't respond to that. But, I did get another email from her asking to pick up a Topsy-turvy cake today or tomorrow.

I have had a call from a guy that I advertise with wanting a cake for the next day. I said at this point, I can only do cupcakes. He said, if I wanted cupcakes, I would make them myself. I politely said, yes, you are right. I can just put a cake in the oven and slap some icing on it and call it done. But what you are wanting is custom designed, edible art. What I do is not typical of grocery style cakes. There is 3 days minimum that goes into each cake because each stage requires that the cake rest and settle to ensure that it does not fall over, have icing leak out, have air bubbles form, etc.

I guess I can't be TOO hard on them because I am looking at it from an insider's POV. They are outsiders. Which is why i try to be super kind everywhere I go if I am making an unusual request for something. Because i am SURE i am **THAT** customer to someone, you know? LOL

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:51pm
post #17 of 18

You are a true saint responding so nicely.

I would have laughed out loud got all Soup Nazi and said "No soup for you!" icon_twisted.gif

People can be so completely dense.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 5:08pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutbake

People are funny. Someone wouldn't walk into a seamstress and say "I need a custom made ball gown with crystals, antique lace and the finest italian silks in 4 days and for 15 dollars."

"But I'm only a size 4, so it should be a small gown. No biggie, right?"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%