Question About Food Colouring

Baking By PinkLotus Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 1:31am by SweetSuzieQ

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone.
I'm brand new here, and fairly new to baking. It's only been in the last few months that I've started really working towards becoming a good baker. I'm learning a lot from this site!
Anyway, I just have a question about colouring. I posted pictures of some cookie monster cupcakes that I made on my FB page, and someone made a snarky comment about eating "all that blue food colouring". I also had comments from the same person when I made rainbow cupcakes. I use the Wilton colouring and don't have to use very much to make the colours bright and vivid, but I just didn't quite know what to say to this person. I basically just said there wasn't actually that much colouring in there, and since most people will only eat one or two, it's really not that much. But then she said it again with the cookie monster cupcakes. Sigh.
Have you ever had anyone make comments about colouring like that before? What did you say in response? I'm quite proud of my cupcakes and don't like feeling as though I have to defend them! icon_cool.gif

10 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 11

The food coloring won't hurt you. It may, if they eat enough effect the color of their stool later.

Personally if I can help it I avoid doing deep dark colors, especially an all red or all black cake, but that's more because it can make everyone's mouths those colors for a while.

I'd either address her and ask her what her issue is with the blue food coloring, or just ignore her.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 11

You could just also delete the comments.

PinkLotus Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks!
I know that some people don't like the idea of food colouring, and I guess since the blue in the cookie monster cupcakes (as well as the rainbow cupcakes) was nice and vivid she assumed I had buckets of colouring in there or something. I had probably the equivalent of a 1/2 teaspoon of the royal blue wilton gel in there, which to me isn't very much, especially since it was in 4 cups of icing.

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 11

I know when I use luster dust it does say right on the bottle "do not consume more than..." and I've always wondered about this, I guess everything in moderation! I've never seen this on any food coloring that I use. Like the PP said, food coloring is safe to use, it just might turn their mouth a different color for a few hours! As for the facebook poster, I've had that with a cotton candy cupcake that I made and was so excited about it so I posted it on my facebook wall. Well I had one poster yell at me about the sugar content of it and how could I ever make something like this.... Sheesh! She totally ruined my day. I private messaged her and explained why I had made it and that if she didn't have something nice to say than please don't post! Then I deleted her post on my wall icon_wink.gif The one thing I've learned is you can't make everybody happy all the time!

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 11

I qould delete the comments and also block that particular person. You can do this by going into your settings.

Just curious, but do you know this person or is it someone just making comments?

PinkLotus Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 11

It is someone I know, a woman I work with. She's a nice enough person (though admittedly, I don't know her extremely well) but doesn't seem to have a filter on her mouth. The first time she said something, I just kind of brushed it off, didn't really think she was being serious. This time it kind of threw me for a loop...it didn't bother me enough that I feel like deleting her (though I did delete the comment lol) but it made me wonder if this is something other people have encountered and if so, how they dealt with it.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 11

One thing that I have learned about posting anything on the internet, there is always someone out there that is more then willing to say something negative. Don't let it drag you down to their level. Only focus on the positive and delete the negative. You need to have thick skin if you want to put your work out there in a public forum. Most people will make a positive comment, but you will find those random freaks that have to try and hurt peoples feelings. I feel sorry for them that they can't see the beauty in things but only the ugly. And then you also have the "health" freaks. Why are they looking at cupcakes anyway. Sugar jealousy...that's what it is LOL. Make and eat cupcakes, but most importantly...share the love (share the cupcakes) that's my philosophy. You just might make one of those "sour pusses" a "happy camper". Chin up.

ccckitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccckitty Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 11

If this is the second negative comment, you're dealing with an unhappy person, in my opinion. Block their posts and ban them from your page and don't look back.

MarciaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarciaD Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:19am
post #10 of 11

I'm new here so don't know what has been said in the past and I don't know what the person wrote regarding your use of food dyes but the negativity could have been her concern about what food dyes can do. My children (and thousands of others) really react to them. A few years ago a study showed that all kids do react. Adults do too--hives, ADHD symtpoms, etc.

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:31am
post #11 of 11

I probably would have responded with snarky sweet and said, "xxx, if you have any suggestions for naturally coloring icing blue for these cookie monster cupcakes that a customer requested and is paying me for, I'd be sooo happy to hear it! icon_biggrin.gif"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%