Canon Or Epson? Icing Images Or Kopykake?

Decorating By cakesrpretty Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 2:40pm by icingimages

cakesrpretty Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 4

HI,

I have a Cannon IP3500 and it is clogged and I have tried everything to fix it with no luck. I was using the kopykake icing sheets and inks.

I recently bought a Epson Workforce 1100 as it is wide format. Does anyone have any experience with this printer? I haven;t used it yet and I am wondering if I made the right decision buying an Epson instead of a Cannon again. What brand do others have the best experience with?

Also, what brand of inks/sheets do people prefer and why (icing images or kopykake - is there any others)?

Thanks in advance

3 replies
icingimages Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 4

HI
I believe you emailed me directly about this but when I saw this post, I thought it would be helpful for everyone to answer here.

The Canon ip3500 you described in the email that one color wouldnt work and then you would get that to work only for another color to stop working.

First, I am not sure whose ink you are using, but there is a tab that covers up vent holes at the top of the cartridge, just above the cartridge label. Make sure it is removed. I had a customer drop by printers from a competitor for me to look at and the first thing I noticed is that they didnt remove the tabs. So this problem occurs over all brands of cartridges.

Second, if this is not it, the printer is probably about 2 years old. As printers age, depending on their usage, there is a sponge that dries up. When this dries up it mimiks crazy printhead problems. Sounds familiar? This is a very easy fix and I will email you the instructions. If you are a customer of ours, you can also find the instructions by logging in to our website and going over to the support section. If anyone else needs them, please contact me directly.

Canon vs Epson. My job is to break printers and get them to work again. Way back in the day when people began looking at the Epsons I began breaking epsons. I couldnt fix them. The only one that I was able to work with and had a harder time breaking was the Epson Workforce 1100. Now, in the wide format arena, there are very few choices. Canon has added so many cartrdiges to their wide formats that it is costs prohibitive to use. If you are overseas, there are Canon wide formats available that are actually pretty good. But in the US, unfortunately the best choice is the Epson Workforce 1100. I still do not like the printer only because it is finicky. In addition, without the removable printhead, if you get a clog and you cannot get it out through the normal means of cleaning through the printer, you are out the entire printer. This is why, if you can get away with 8.5x14, I recommend the canon mg5220 or the ip4820. They both print the legal size which fills a half sheet well. The printhead is removable and the printer is much more reliable then the Epsons.

I have some customers in the Epsons, but I truly do not care for them.

There are several edible printing supply companies out there. I suggest you do your research as you are doing now, but also before making a decision, when you narrow it down, call them. See what they have to say. Find out if they are service oriented or $$ oreinted.... you will know!

Hope this is helpful!

cakesrpretty Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you. If you can email me the instructions on how to fix my ip3500 that would be great.

I was hoping to get some feedback from other users as well on what they have found works best for them.

Thanks again

icingimages Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 4

I understand. While I am definately biased towards my company, I do have a lot of experience with the printers and if I am able to help people to avoid making costly mistakes, I try to do that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%