Tim Burton Esq Cake

Decorating By fortheloveofcake1984 Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 6:07pm by JamAndButtercream

fortheloveofcake1984 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:05am
post #1 of 9

Ok So my baby sister will be turning 21 next week and I thought I would make her a birthday cake ('cos you know thats my thing ... Its what I Love to do) Her favourite thing in the world is Tim Burton films ... especially if they contain Johnny Depp!
So I got to thinking a Tim Burtonesq cake would be amazing .. Now I have been looking and looking and I cant find anything to inspire me.

Anyone have any ideas?? It will be a 3tiered Fondant iced cake.
Main films id love to include is
Edward Scissor hands (Which is also 21 this year)
The legend of sleepy Hollow
Sweeney Todd ... But I was thinking of saving that for Finger Pie Themed Cuppies.

8 replies
crimesofparis Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 9

Don't forget that he also did Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and a Batman movie. Maybe there's something there.

JamAndButtercream Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 9

Hi,
Well let me start off by saying I LOVE Tim Burton! Great cake choice!
(My fav is Nightmare Before Christmas, but I am a stop motion animator by trade!)
3 Tiers, ok 3 films! choose 3 of her favourite tim burton films and theme each tier to the film!

This is an example,
Bottom tier - nightmare before christmas, black cake with pumpkins around cake base, handpainted curled mountain and halloween scenes.
Middle tier - Edward scissor hands, dark grey cake, maybe with a border of shaped hedges, because he trims hedges in the film, maybe 3d scissors raised on the cake with a butterfly sitting on the edge of one of the blades, like the film posters.
Top Tier - The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Light grey cake, with the headless horse man as the centre piece, with the tree of the dead, and maybe some blood splatter on the cake icon_wink.gif

And the idea with the Sweeny Todd cupcakes is great!

Hope this helps, Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

fortheloveofcake1984 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 10:54am
post #4 of 9

Now that is some fantastic ideas!! Thankyou very much ...
Now time to get sketching (and find my collection of Tim burton Films)

LisaPeps Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:25am
post #5 of 9

This was a Tim Burton themed cake that I did: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1992916

Bottom tier represented Beetlejuice
Middle Tier The Nightmare Before Christmas
Top Tier Alice in Wonderland

Tim Burton/ Johnny Depp films: Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Corpse Bride, Sweeney Todd, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland.

If it were me, I would do 1 tier Alice in Wonderland - probably the Cheshire Cat because in the newest movie it's quite a scary and dark portrayal. I would do 1 tier Edward Scissorhands, I like the PP idea for that. I would do another tier Charlie and the Chocolate factory. And then try and make a topper like the tree and moon in this image http://www.impawards.com/1999/sleepy_hollow_ver1.html for Sleepy Hollow.

Make sure you post pictures! I love the Tim Burton and Jonny Depp collaborations as well as them as individuals!

fortheloveofcake1984 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 9

Its been a long time since I watched Edward scissorhands ... I am trying to think of shapes to do for the bushes (I have completed enough pumpkins to make an entire patch and more Skellington heads then you can shake a voodoo stick at)
but im stuck at shapes to make the bushes for the ES tier any ideas are welcome

maryhtc Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 9

I know he made a t-rex and a family of 4. Been so long since I saw the movie I cant remember the rest. He also cut peoples hair and pets hair too.

smurffy Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 9

He also did a ballerina and an Angel ice sculputer.

JamAndButtercream Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 9

Hi again!

At the middle of the film he makes a t rex, and a family of four, and it shows his at the end of the film in the grounds of the castle making other ones which include, a stork, a reindeer, a hand and a dog, he also makes ice scupltures, if you wanted to include them.

Heres a link to the ending of the film, it shows the hedges and ice sculptures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE6XG468W5s&feature=fvwrel

Hope this helps! I can't wait to see it, I hope you upload it! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%