Tim Burton Esq Cake

Decorating By fortheloveofcake1984 Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 6:07pm by JamAndButtercream

fortheloveofcake1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fortheloveofcake1984 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:05am
post #1 of 9

Ok So my baby sister will be turning 21 next week and I thought I would make her a birthday cake ('cos you know thats my thing ... Its what I Love to do) Her favourite thing in the world is Tim Burton films ... especially if they contain Johnny Depp!
So I got to thinking a Tim Burtonesq cake would be amazing .. Now I have been looking and looking and I cant find anything to inspire me.

Anyone have any ideas?? It will be a 3tiered Fondant iced cake.
Main films id love to include is
Edward Scissor hands (Which is also 21 this year)
The legend of sleepy Hollow
Sweeney Todd ... But I was thinking of saving that for Finger Pie Themed Cuppies.

8 replies
crimesofparis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimesofparis Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 9

Don't forget that he also did Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and a Batman movie. Maybe there's something there.

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 9

Hi,
Well let me start off by saying I LOVE Tim Burton! Great cake choice!
(My fav is Nightmare Before Christmas, but I am a stop motion animator by trade!)
3 Tiers, ok 3 films! choose 3 of her favourite tim burton films and theme each tier to the film!

This is an example,
Bottom tier - nightmare before christmas, black cake with pumpkins around cake base, handpainted curled mountain and halloween scenes.
Middle tier - Edward scissor hands, dark grey cake, maybe with a border of shaped hedges, because he trims hedges in the film, maybe 3d scissors raised on the cake with a butterfly sitting on the edge of one of the blades, like the film posters.
Top Tier - The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Light grey cake, with the headless horse man as the centre piece, with the tree of the dead, and maybe some blood splatter on the cake icon_wink.gif

And the idea with the Sweeny Todd cupcakes is great!

Hope this helps, Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

fortheloveofcake1984 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 10:54am
post #4 of 9

Now that is some fantastic ideas!! Thankyou very much ...
Now time to get sketching (and find my collection of Tim burton Films)

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:25am
post #5 of 9

This was a Tim Burton themed cake that I did: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1992916

Bottom tier represented Beetlejuice
Middle Tier The Nightmare Before Christmas
Top Tier Alice in Wonderland

Tim Burton/ Johnny Depp films: Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Corpse Bride, Sweeney Todd, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland.

If it were me, I would do 1 tier Alice in Wonderland - probably the Cheshire Cat because in the newest movie it's quite a scary and dark portrayal. I would do 1 tier Edward Scissorhands, I like the PP idea for that. I would do another tier Charlie and the Chocolate factory. And then try and make a topper like the tree and moon in this image http://www.impawards.com/1999/sleepy_hollow_ver1.html for Sleepy Hollow.

Make sure you post pictures! I love the Tim Burton and Jonny Depp collaborations as well as them as individuals!

fortheloveofcake1984 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 9

Its been a long time since I watched Edward scissorhands ... I am trying to think of shapes to do for the bushes (I have completed enough pumpkins to make an entire patch and more Skellington heads then you can shake a voodoo stick at)
but im stuck at shapes to make the bushes for the ES tier any ideas are welcome

maryhtc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryhtc Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 9

I know he made a t-rex and a family of 4. Been so long since I saw the movie I cant remember the rest. He also cut peoples hair and pets hair too.

smurffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smurffy Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 9

He also did a ballerina and an Angel ice sculputer.

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 9

Hi again!

At the middle of the film he makes a t rex, and a family of four, and it shows his at the end of the film in the grounds of the castle making other ones which include, a stork, a reindeer, a hand and a dog, he also makes ice scupltures, if you wanted to include them.

Heres a link to the ending of the film, it shows the hedges and ice sculptures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE6XG468W5s&feature=fvwrel

Hope this helps! I can't wait to see it, I hope you upload it! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%