Snowflake Wedding Cake

Decorating By BUNNYMOM Updated 22 Aug 2011 , 12:40am by KimandAshlee

BUNNYMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BUNNYMOM Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:36am
post #1 of 8

How do I make snowflakes for a wedding cake ( edible ) ? Is chocolate too heavy to make snowflake with ?

7 replies
SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:06am
post #2 of 8

Hey! Over the years, I've collected different snowflake cutters. I use marshmallow fondant and cut out the snowflakes. Then, I sprinkle crystalized sugar on the fondant.

Another time I cut out the snowflakes and then sprayed them with silver (because that was the bride's color) but I think they would've looked great with edible pearl spray too.

I just realized you might be talking about very small snowflakes. In that case, I use crystalized sugar mixed with shredded coconut that I've put through the grinder.

I have a few pictures in my gallery if that helps. icon_smile.gif Happy caking!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 9:01am
post #3 of 8

How long before the wedding?
I recently bought plunger snowflake cutters from ebay for around $5 but it takes a good 3-4 weeks to arrive. They come from China and postage is FREE. Yes, they are the good cutters that sell for about $20-$30 at N.A. stores.

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:38am
post #4 of 8

If you pipe, you can make them out of white choclate or royal icing. I think you can get templates by googling snowflake images. The royal has a high breakage rate but they are lighter looking than gumpaste.

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:58am
post #5 of 8

you can buy a chocolate mold to make the snowflakes, you can see how they look in this cake
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1295597

then you dust the chocolates

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 4:13am
post #6 of 8

For this cake I used royal icing.

http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1293640

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 5:22am
post #7 of 8

Royal icing looks a lot more prettier and realistic if that is your goal... good luck icon_smile.gif

KimandAshlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimandAshlee Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 12:40am
post #8 of 8

We have actually used melted chocolate to pipe a snowflake design, as well as royal icing, and we have also used fondant to make snowflakes for wedding cakes. (make sure that the fondant is dry before placing them on the cake) I personally think it is just a matter of preferrance as to which look you like the best. Melted chocolate that is piped is a bit stronger than piped royal icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%