I Think I Need Some Cake Friend Support :(

Business By ConfectionsCC Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 12:23pm by costumeczar

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:14am
post #1 of 12

I am doing great starting my business. I do know that my prices are not the lowest in the area, but I feel that my quality (in comparison to the area, not to CC, ways away from the awesomeness on here LOL!) I have had two people in the last week tell me "well your cakes are great, but thats high...Was not expecting that, so and so charges $XXX for something similar" While I know to expect this, it does kinda hurt, and makes me worry that it happened twice in the past week icon_cry.gif I am really questioning now if I am too expensive for our small town. I specialize in cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. I do not own a store front, I am like one week away from opening a licensed home kitchen and am booked solid from Sept. to the end of Oct! In case any of you are wondering, my cookies start at about $1 per in, cupcakes at $1.50, BC only cakes $2 per serving, BC w/ fondant accents are $2.50 per serving, and all fondant are $3.50 per serving. Topsy turvy are $1 extra to what ever finish you choose, and carved cakes start at $100. Ugh, just makes me sick! I refuse to chase someone one down and say "Hey, I will do it for Jane Doe's price" but at the same time, I am fearing I should back down a bit! Thanks for the long vent, any feed back would be nice icon_sad.gif

11 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:19am
post #2 of 12

No matter your price point you'll always get some negative feedback.

My prices are higher than yours and I've been in business almost 10 yrs and I still get those very comments.

It's ok. Not everyone will be your client but the worst thing you can do is give your work away for free.

Keep your chin up....it sounds like you're doing something right if you are completely booked up the next couple of months.

Good luck with your new business!

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:21am
post #3 of 12

By the way, I forgot to tell you that your cakes are beautiful and are worth every single penny that you're charging and more.

Don't lower your prices.

ConfectionsCC Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:22am
post #4 of 12

Thank you cakestyles icon_biggrin.gif I guess this is the part about "growing some" I will still be working on!! HAHA

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:39am
post #5 of 12

Your prices are fair. Your cakes are beautiful. They were just playing you to try to get a deal. Hang in there and congratulations on your upcoming opening and success.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:49am
post #6 of 12

We get the "too expensive" reaction at least 1-2 times a week. You'll get used to it. After a while it rolls of your shoulders and you stop worrying that you are charging too much, because you realize how much your time and talent is worth! If someone doesn't want to pay, just think, "They are not my customer. Next!" Keep on keepin' on, your cakes are fabulous! icon_smile.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 1:32am
post #7 of 12

Some helpful thoughts: Once you have a website up and running, you will get less and less of that.
Post prices and pricing policies CLEARLY on the website, under its own heading, and people will stop calling for pricing and you don't have to be the big meanie all the time.
When I had a less than helpful website, people were constantly doing that on the phone with me, to the point that I dreaded the ring. Now, I RARELY get that, in fact I can't remember the last time I had that happen to me, and I run #2 in my area for price per slice.
Its so nice when technology can do your "weeding" for you, isn't it? icon_smile.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:09am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

I have had two people in the last week tell me "well your cakes are great, but thats high...

...I am like one week away from opening a licensed home kitchen and am booked solid from Sept. to the end of Oct!

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but don't you think you're putting an awful lot of weight on these two negative reactions to your pricing? You're not even open for business yet and you're completely booked two months out. If you're doing 2 or three orders per week, that's somewhere between 16 and 24 orders who DON'T think your prices are too high. Those positive reactions FAR outweigh the negative.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:50am
post #9 of 12

You are getting feedback from the general public for a premium item. They also don't see the worth in a Mercedes. Your prices are low. You need to market to the right income group.

ConfectionsCC Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:52am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:

I have had two people in the last week tell me "well your cakes are great, but thats high...

...I am like one week away from opening a licensed home kitchen and am booked solid from Sept. to the end of Oct!

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but don't you think you're putting an awful lot of weight on these two negative reactions to your pricing? You're not even open for business yet and you're completely booked two months out. If you're doing 2 or three orders per week, that's somewhere between 16 and 24 orders who DON'T think your prices are too high. Those positive reactions FAR outweigh the negative.

True! I think its my insecurity of starting out on the mid-to-high end of the market...among other things I am nervous about making the leap from hobby to pro!

JoanieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanieB Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:07pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:

This!..... thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:23pm
post #12 of 12

We all tend to ignore the ten positive things that you hear, and dwell on the one negative. If you're doing fine starting your business then don't put too much stock in those people who can't afford you. That's their issue, not yours. I get the "too expensive" reation too, but I know that there are businesses in my area who are more expensive than I am, and they're doing fine. So the customers who can't afford me can't afford them either, but that doesn't mean that we'll all be lowering our prices!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%