New To Swiss Meringue Buttercream Looking For Some Help

Decorating By athenarose Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 12:32am by athenarose

athenarose Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I wanted to try swiss meringue buttercream under a fondant cake I got to do Thursday, but I had a few questions and searching on the internet has only left me with more questions. I have tried to make it once, the meringue kind of felt like it broke down, maybe I over whipped it?

If I decorate the cake Wednesday night will the buttercream hold up under the fondant till thursday night in or out of the fridge?
Does the buttercream break down or get grainy when put in the fridge or made the day before?

I'm making a purse cake for my mom who is flying in on Thursday so I would like to get it done Wednesday night but I'm scared of working hard and seeing it fall apart before she gets here. Any help or advice would be appricated, I got mixed results when I googled questions..."Mine turned grainy in the fridge..." "You can leave it out the day before..." "Only out for a few hours..." Thanks in advanced! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
cakestyles Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:07am
post #2 of 6

I would keep the cake refrigerated and it'll be fine. I personally allow the cake to come to room temperature before serving when I make it for my family because I like it to be more of a "mousse" consistency.

When refrigerated SMBC becomes pretty solid...like butter.

If you need to make the SMBC the day before you use it, I would refrigerate and than allow it to come to room temperature and rewhip before using it.

I've never had mine get "grainy" so I'm not sure why that happened to some people.

Some people on this site have posted that they don't refrigerate their SMBC, but my HD won't allow me to use it on cakes I sell because he told me it is not shelf stable and needs refrigeration. (I have a non hazardous license) So I listen to the HD. lol

Good luck!

JSKConfections Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:08am
post #3 of 6

I just made some on Sunday for a cupcake order...and made some for us at home with the left overs, they are covered on the counter and its just as soft and creamy without crusting as the day I made it...it has not broke down at all and this is day 3...I would think it would be fine.

athenarose Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:23am
post #4 of 6

Thank you both! I think I will try and make it Wednesday night that way I can get all the detail on without stressing and making my home a mess in the process. When covering a SMBC with fondant do you let the SMBC set up in the fridge for a bit before you throw on the fondant? She comes at 4pm and I got 2 little ones both with colds (soon I will have a cold also lol) so it's already stressful enough but I never get to make cakes for my family anymore so on the rare occasion I do, I want it to be as good as it gets. I'm also going to make some extra cupcakes and set them out on the counter with the SMBC. I just didn't want to gamble with the cake and don't think I will have time to test it before it's time to decorate.

cakestyles Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:26am
post #5 of 6

Sure, chill it briefly just til it firms up, which is pretty quick and than cover with fondant.

I hope the kiddos feel better and that you don't catch it!

athenarose Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:32am
post #6 of 6

Ty again cakestyles! I woke up with the itch in the back of my throat this morning that only tells me tommorrow will be doomsday so I'm trying to make all my icings and get all my house cleaning in while I can icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%