Desperate For Help Not Sure What To Do!

Decorating By angelcakes11 Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 11:05am by scp1127

angelcakes11 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 13

I recently put an add up on a very popular online classified site offering my cakes. I received an email from a bride interested in my cakes and wanting to set up a cake tasting appointment. I am a bit worried being that I have no clue who this person is and and I would I guess have to have her in my home. I am not sure what to do, would be unprofessional to meet up with her somewhere and bring cake samples, i have never done a cake sampling either I am assuming it is a slice of different types of cakes.I would really appreciate any input here on how any of you would handle this situation. Thanks

12 replies
jason_kraft Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 13

If you're not comfortable having the customer at your house, it would be perfectly OK to hold the tasting at her house (and probably more convenient for her). We bake 6" rounds for each requested flavor and cut them up into small circles with a cookie cutter for tastings, we charge $30 for up to 2 cake flavors and 2 frosting flavors (additional flavors available for $10 each).

You'll also want to make sure you are legally allowed to sell cakes made from home, some states allow this but other states require a commercial kitchen.

Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 13

Many cake decoraters are like you and feel very uncomfortable having strangers meet/come to their home.It not only can be weird but for security reasons too.Choose a neutral place like a coffee shop, small cafe,Fast food place,sit down restaraunt in a corner and order a coffee and food etc and maybe bring the cake samples in a box and allow the bride to take them home to try so that you are not opening them up inside a establishment that already may sell baked goods.They probably will not like or allow this...and who can blame them.Have the bride email you with her flavors...It can be successfully done!!

cakestyles Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 13

By on line classified site, do you mean Craig's list? lol

I bake legally from home and hold all consults in my dining room...I think my clients really like walking into my home and seeing how clean my house (kitchen especially) is.

Now having said that...I don't advertise on Craig's list or any other on-line classified forum because I would be hesitant to invite complete strangers into my home.

95% of my wedding clients are referred to me by my other clients, so somebody I know knows them well.

I would do as kiddiekakes suggested and offer to meet them in a neutral public location. I wouldn't offer to go to their house because you never know what you're walking into.

For my tastings I offer 2 flavors of my choice, 3 to 4 filling choices and my butter cream. This is a free tasting. If they want to choose additional flavors I charge $10 per flavor.

I bake up small 3" round cakes, tort them so that there are 2 slices of say, chocolate, 2 slices of vanilla bean etc.

I usually bake the flavors that I'm making that week because I always have an extra cup of batter hanging around.

Good luck!

NerdyGirl Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 13

A neutral place is a wise idea if you feel uncomfortable. HOWEVER, most establishments that sell foods may take exception to your bringing food in from the outside.

angelcakes11 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you so much guys, I have emailed her back offering her to pick two types of cake and two types of fillings at no charge , as suggested I added she would have to pay for any extra. I did very politely ask her to meet up at a coffee shop where I would have the cake samples packaged and she can take them home to taste and then get to back to me on what her thoughts were and if she wanted to proceed from there. It wasn't Craig's List lol.. I am in Ontario it is on kijji, a popular online site, it attracts more people then Craig's list. Again thank you all so much, you have become my lifeline so to speak when I get overwhelmed and draw a blank on what to do or on how to do something, I know that this is the place to come to!!!

Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 13

Don't even get me started on Kijiji icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif ..I had a listing to sell my Wilton cakepans and ended up deleting it after 1 day as it attracted to many loonatics wanting free stuff.And rude.. icon_rolleyes.gif

But seriously....I have sold lots on Kijiji thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mariacakestoo Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 13

Are you going to have this concern every time someone wants something? Frankly, I don't want to meet someone who's going to be holding a lot of money for their big day, at a coffee shop. That gives me the creepies, as a customer.

cakestyles Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 13

It's pretty common for home bakers to meet clients at a coffee shop like Starbucks or Panera. I know of a couple bakers who meet them at Borders book/cafe because there are plenty of seats with tables to spread paperwork out on.

Haven't you ever gone to Panera and seen all of the business men/women having meetings there?

It's definitely not unusual.

scp1127 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:07am
post #10 of 13

My commercial kitchen is on the first floor of my home. I think letting the client tour the bakery is important for credibility. I have space in the bakery to entertain clients. I do plenty of screening on the phone, including making sure the price is clear. No use in wasting time.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:07am
post #11 of 13
Originally Posted by mariacakestoo

Are you going to have this concern every time someone wants something? Frankly, I don't want to meet someone who's going to be holding a lot of money for their big day, at a coffee shop. That gives me the creepies, as a customer.

We always meet at Starbucks for our consultations. We've never had anyone have a problem with it. Most seem to really like it, actually. Definitely never had someone say it made them uncomfortable.

labmom Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:07am
post #12 of 13

I also meet my clients at coffee shops, or any restaurant that the client and I agree on. From Mcdonalds to Fridays, or Applebee's even Dennys.. and of course the coffee shops.
I live way out in the country and most of my clients are from at least an hour away. To offer to meet them half way is appreciated by them. It gives me a chance to get out of the house and to a coffee shop or restuarant.
I always box my samples and they also appreciate being able to take them home and have other family members perhaps try them as well.
Almost all my clients are word of mouth. Someone knows them so I have no problem if they would like to come all the way out to the house. That is always an option for them. It is there choice where to meet.
I never meet with someone by myself. I have someone at the house for appointments there. My husband or grown daughter always go with me to out of the house appointments. Depending on the number of people with the client my husband will sit with us or wander around the mall, or sit and read a book or paper at a coffee shop. He stays out of the way so it is still a very professional appointment. Its just a saftey issue to not be alone these days.

scp1127 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:05am
post #13 of 13

I don't get the paranoia. This is a cake tasting. If you have clearly qualified the person, including price vs. servings, and you have a meeting of the minds, what is the issue? You have many less qualified people in your home... cable guy, plumber, pest control person... these people you don't know. Who has been robbed by cake tasters? They aren't going to add assault with a deadly weapon and rob you during the tasting. You would also have to assume that they don't know your address in advance and they have made up this elaborate scenario with no idea of what you own of value. This is too far-fetched.

Quote by @%username% on %date%