Chocolate Icing Recipe On The Can Of Hershey's Cocoa

Baking By cakeflake80 Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 3:00pm by MarianInFL

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone! This will be my first time making chocolate icing, and I was hoping anyone with experience making this recipe can answer a few questions. Does this icing crust? Can I sub shortening for the butter? And does the cake have to be kept in the fridge after I am done decorating it? I plan on icing it on Friday night, and the cake is for Sunday.

9 replies
cakeflake80 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:22am
post #2 of 10

Anyone?

aswinqiust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswinqiust Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:33am
post #3 of 10

I use the recipe on the hershey box for my chocolate frosting; I only use real butter (you may have to add a little extra milk to get to the consistancy you need to frost your cake. You will want to refridgerate becuase of the milk; but just set cake out an hour before serving to come to room temperature. I have also added some kaluha and sometimes coffee to enhance the flavor - I also double the recipe - leftovers stay fresh in fridge for several weeks -seal in airtight container. Good luck

Tracey2528 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracey2528 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:34am
post #4 of 10

I use that recipe for a filling. It doesn't crust and I don't think I would substitute the butter for shortening - it helps with the flavor. It tastes wonderful! After I melt my butter I put it in my mixer and add all the other ingredients. It comes out really creamy, but I don't think I would use it for decorating because of the fact that it doesn't crust.

Sweet_Delaney_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Delaney_cakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:43am
post #5 of 10

I use this recipe all the time and it always crusts really nicely for me!

cakeflake80 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:06am
post #6 of 10

Thanks everyone! I guess I'll keep searching because I really want to use something that doesn't need to be kept cold...space issues in my fridge!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:18am
post #7 of 10

this is also my go-to recipe when I need chocolate. It crusts very well for me (if you need to, add more sugar since crusting is the result of fat to sugar ratio) and since I never refrigerate my cakes, this icing has never been refrigerated at my end. (My regular icing also has milk and it's never refrigerated. Milk and sugar stabilize each other.)

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:30am
post #8 of 10

Sweet I was just looking at a can of Heresy's coco at Sam's & was wondering if that will work in making chocolate instead of trying to melt chocolate chip. Melting the Chocolate Chips makes the icing heavy & the boarder sometimes want to slide off the cake.

Thanks for asking this.

cakeflake80 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

this is also my go-to recipe when I need chocolate. It crusts very well for me (if you need to, add more sugar since crusting is the result of fat to sugar ratio) and since I never refrigerate my cakes, this icing has never been refrigerated at my end. (My regular icing also has milk and it's never refrigerated. Milk and sugar stabilize each other.)

Thank you! I guess I will try it then. Do you know if it's soft because of the butter? It's been so humid here this summer, and I normally use an all shortening buttercream. I was hoping to be able to use shortening for the chocolate icing too, but if it effects the taste then I don't want to mess with it.

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:00pm
post #10 of 10

Has the recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can changed recently? I don't make it often enough to remember the ingredients, but the last time I made it, the taste was not smooth chocolate, but sorta bitter chocolate. I made another batch with a quarter of the chocolate they suggested, and it still didn't taste as good as I remembered the last time I made it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%