I Need Help, She Wants 1 Meter 50......

Decorating By Claire138 Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 9:04pm by Narie

Claire138 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 10

I've been asked to make a wedding cake which I'm really happy about as this will be my first, however............ the bride wants it at 1 meter 50 ( 4 feet 11 inchs) and I just don't know if I can pull it off.
I made a design which came to 1 meter but she says it's not high enough. She doesn't care how many dummies I use as long as she gets it 1 meter 50 (which btw is almost my height)!
Do any of you have any idea how I can make this cake taller? I had decided on the bottom dummy being 50 cm (20 in) with 15.24 cm in height (6 in), then a thinner dummy at 7.62 cm (3in) & then going up that way until reaching the highest layer which will be 4in but 6 in height.
I'm planning on the top 3 layers being cake with 5 6in layers and 4 3in in the in-betweens in total.
Do any of you have any idea how to make this cake 50 meters higher? I would love to make this cake and feel that I can if I can just get it clear in my head.
I'm feeling somewhat down bc I can't work it out so any help is greatly appreciated.

9 replies
lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 10

Can you elevate the tiers? Put a separator between the tiers and cover with ribbon or flowers? What is the design like?

pusskin Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 10

Does she insist that it looks as if it is all cake or would she accept something like this structure wise.

it's not the only separated stack in the gallery but the title made it seem apt.

Can't get the image to insert

Yours aye

Claire138 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 10

Pusskin, I love that idea and will ask her if that will cover what she wants as an enormous (her words) cake. The reception is going to be for 350 people so she wants it to be seen by all sides of the hall but doesn't care if it is not all cake as she is having a dessert table.

My original design has the bottom 4 layers (2 6in & 2 3in) as dummies and then the ones on top of that alternative dummy & cake.

Lilmissbakesalot, I already have 3in dummies between each layer that I was planning on covering with fondant but I don't know how high I can go. Of course, I know the sky's the limit with these cakes but as I don't have as much experience as others (on this site and outside) I know that I will be over reaching if I just go higher and higher in that direction - not to mention needing a ladder!

Claire138 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 10

I was planning on something like this but with the smaller dummies between every layer not just the top 2 she has done:

I hope the author doesn't mind me posting her photo it's such a beautiful cake.

Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 10

That is the best way to do it and should be much easier since you are making more dummies than cake...as long as everything is level it will go great!!

lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 10

That will work great. That's what I was referring to with the ribbon covered separators too. It give you some height, and since you are doing a lot of styro in there already it will be.

Tiers can be as tall as you want, but the taller the tiers the harder they can be to cover, especially the smaller in diameter you go. A 4" round that is 5" tall can be a bit of a bear to cover.

Claire138 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for your replies, so just to make sure I understand this properly I need to factor in 2 more 6in tiers (24in & 2icon_cool.gif and 2 more 3in (22in & 26) to bring it up to height? I will definitely have to 'build' this on site bc it will be too tall to transport any other way.
As to the 4 inch at the top that one will be cake so hopefully I won't have too much of a hard time with it.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 10

5" isn't too bad on a 4" tier... but any taller and I'd be swearing (more than usual)... LOL.

Just keep adding on until you get the height you need. Sketch it out on graph paper where one little cube can equal an inch so you get an accurate feel for the size. Also, if she's doing any flowers on top they can add height too.

Make sure she's paying dearly for this cake too... even the dummies will take time and effort. I don't discount much (20%) for dummy tiers vs. cake tiers. The money is in the decorating.

Narie Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 10

Does she have cake topper? Would that count into the height?

Quote by @%username% on %date%