Walmart Wedding Cakes- Schedule Your Tasting

Decorating By labmom Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 5:53pm by Unlimited

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 4

Yes they do tastings. which suprised me! its all listed on the wedding cake flyer.

While in our local supercenter the bakery area was empty I took advantage to look around at the display and pick up the wedding cake flyer. "your wedding cake a step by step guide" They offer a cake that feeds 100-145 people for $138.00 and they go up from there.
The cakes yes, They are all stacked, and the only thing that I see on the folder that I really liked but no where in the bakery was it displayed is the "champagne"color for the buttercream.

I wish I could see it in person and find out what color they are using in the butter cream. It is very nice on the flyer, yet the cake that was displayed was less than exciting. I realized that people will go to walmart for different reasons, from price to no knowing where else to purchase a cake.

It seems that the largest cake they do is a 3 tier for 134 servings, 2 tier serves 64 servings and a double layer 1/2 sheet.

I do wonder where they get there cake slice servings. according to them a 6" serves 16, a 10" serves 48 and a 12" serves 70 ..really 70?? I have had to stretch cutting a cake when unexpected guests arrived but from what a 12" is 56? according to wilton but 16 for a 6" Heck thats insane.. so i s the 70?? Thats barely a bite.

With the decrease of the local bakery (at least in our area) people are only left with the grocery store bakery with the "book" to pick there 30 cake choices out of. I hate to watch these people go look at the book and not be able to go up to them and give them my business card.

They offer about 10-12 designs and 3 colors but if anyone knows what the champagne color is. I am going to go talk to our loacal walmart baker. we have become "close" when I omplaine that they always put there breads in the bags while hot and that makes them not only soggy but mold almost over night.
so I am not sure what sucess I will have if I talk to her. But I will try.

anyone who knows about this chapagne color I would love to know what it is.

looks great in the flyer.

3 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 4

Believe it or not... you can easily get 16 servings from a 6" cake. Especially if it's a wedding cake and being eaten after the meal.

I took a 6" cake and cut it 3 different ways... to get 8, 12, and 16 servings. Yes they are a little small at 16 servings, but not miniscule. Cutting it into 8 slices the slices were way too big... I like the size of the 12 serving slice, but the 16 servings slice is a reasonable slice for a wedding dessert after the meal.

I haven't seen the color... is there a link online anywhere?

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 4

There is no link/website listed for the walmart wedding cake/bakery. the color is hard to describe. Not silver/ivory/or gold.. just a nice color. I just want to see the real thing.. not the photo. See if it is true to the color.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

I do wonder where they get there cake slice servings. according to them a 6" serves 16, a 10" serves 48 and a 12" serves 70 ..really 70?? I have had to stretch cutting a cake when unexpected guests arrived but from what a 12" is 56? according to wilton but 16 for a 6" Heck thats insane.. so i s the 70?? Thats barely a bite.

They probably get their serving amounts from old Wilton charts and cutting guides. If you look at the older Wilton publications, they show approximate number of 1" x 2" slices you can expect to serve from a two-layer tier
6" 16
8" 30
10" 48
12" 68
14" 92
16"118
18"148

These charts are fairly accurate and do provide the size slice indicateddefinitely more than a bite. The guides illustrate the circular carving method with slightly tapered servings which aren't very noticeable once served.

The newer charts might be making up for the lost tapered amounts if carving straight instead of circular. (Either that, or they got better at their math calculations!) Either way, both old and new charts are within a somewhat similar range for standard 1" x 2" serving portions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%