Air Bubbles!!!!!!

Decorating By dchinda Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 8:26pm by dchinda

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 5

I don't know what else to do to prevent having air bubbles in my buttercream when I am mixing in my KA. I usually cream my hi-ratio shortening on low for about 1 min, stopping to scrape the sides, then add my vanilla & a couple Tbls of water & mix for another min on low. Then I start adding my PS with my Meringue Powder one cup at a time & keep adding water one Tbls at a time to get the right constiency. I try to make a double batch to ensure my paddle is covered. Can anyone please tell what I need to change? THANKS!

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 5

SugarShack's method has you fill up your mixer so that the paddle is covered.

When I make my buttercream, because it doesn't fill my mixer up completely, after I start adding the powder sugar I don't crank the mixer up high. I keep it on a low speed, mix, scrap then mix a little more. If your mixer isn't full cranking it up high or mixing it for a long period of time can add in air, causing air bubbles.

dchinda Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

SugarShack's method has you fill up your mixer so that the paddle is covered.

When I make my buttercream, because it doesn't fill my mixer up completely, after I start adding the powder sugar I don't crank the mixer up high. I keep it on a low speed, mix, scrap then mix a little more. If your mixer isn't full cranking it up high or mixing it for a long period of time can add in air, causing air bubbles.

This is exactly what I do, I always keep my KA low speed. Could the air bubbles start when I am creaming the shortening because the 4 C I use isn't covering the paddle yet? I have even tried barely mixing it on my KA & then trying to finish it by hand but their is still air bubbles. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. icon_confused.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 5

I crank the mixer up when there is just shortening, flavor and water in it.

Something you can do, is after the buttercream has been made, use a flat wide spatula and press the icing against the side of the bowl. This will help break up any air bubbles in the icing.

dchinda Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I crank the mixer up when there is just shortening, flavor and water in it.

Something you can do, is after the buttercream has been made, use a flat wide spatula and press the icing against the side of the bowl. This will help break up any air bubbles in the icing.

Does pressing a spatula againg the side of the bowl really break up all the air bubbles? It seems that there are too many. Any other helpful hints? Thank you for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%