Deep Cakes Getting An Overcooked Crust

Baking By cakelady1802 Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 8:28pm by pmarks0

cakelady1802 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 2

Can someone help, I have been making cakes for about 6 months now and get plenty of orders from friends and family. My problem is that for a layered cake I make two cakes as I find when I try to make a deep cake I cut away quite a lot of the crust as it is over cooked. I generally use a madeira recipe as I find it the best for stacking etc. Should I just stick to 2 pans or has anyone another suggestion. Thanks in advance

1 reply
pmarks0 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 2

You're getting an overcooked outside because it's taking longer than expected to bake all the way through so the outside is getting done first.

You haven't said what temp you're baking at, but try dropping the temp down by 25 degrees, so if you're baking at 325F or 350F, drop it down to 300F or 325F. At a lower temperature it will take a bit longer to bake.

The other thing you can try is use a heating core or a flower nail or two. I only have 3" pans and I use a flower nail in all of them, and more than one in my 10" and up.

If you get better results and are happier with the two 2" layers, then continue with them. It's really a personal preference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%