Piping Gel Question

Decorating By mudderteresa Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 11:45pm by mudderteresa

mudderteresa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudderteresa Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 4

i want to make a realistic looking river for a hunting cake. piping gel i have heard is great. do i first but blue icing down and then spread piping gel over it? or do i mix the gel in with the icing? or just use blue gel? wouldn' t just using the gel be gross?

3 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 4

Some coat the inside of the river with blue colored BC first and then layer the gel ontop.Don't mix it in though...The gel isn't gross just sweet...and it will get rubbery and hard if you refrigerate it.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 4

I always put down a layer of light blue buttercream under my water first. Then you can put a thin layer of blue tinted piping gel.

Here is a couple of hints when working with piping gel. Stir your color in gently so you don't whip bubbles into the gel. It looks better without air bubbles in it. Also, and this is a big one, don't use very much blue coloring at all. Piping gel takes very, very little coloring to tint, otherwise you will get this very dark blue that is too dark to be water. Use a tiny pinprick of coloring at first, you can always add more.

mudderteresa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudderteresa Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 4

ok thank yall so much for taking the time to help me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%