Giant Round Cutter 8" Or 9"

Decorating By evans000 Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 10:34pm by CounselorMom

evans000 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 11:36am
post #1 of 7

Hi guys, this may not be in the right section (apologies if not)

My parents cooked me a 6", 9" & 12" round choc cake as i need to practice stacking and doing a wedding cake for my portfolio

I have just received 4 orders for the weekend so wont have time to decorate the wedding cake so i'm going to use the smaller of the two for my weekend orders but the 12" is too big for any of my orders.

Is there any such thing as a giant cookie cutter maybe 8" or 9" but deep enough to get through the whole cake.

I can cut it myself but i think round cakes once cut at the sides are difficult to level off, so i thought a giant cookie cutter would be perfect.

Helen x

6 replies
leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 7

Sure. It's called a cake ring.

DianeLM Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 7

Helen, cake rings are very expensive and you'd have to order it. Stores don't carry these things.

Here's a very simple, fool-proof way to trim your cake down.

You may want to chill your cake in the freezer for about 30-45 minutes before starting.

Cut two cardboard rounds the exact diameter you want your cake. You may not even need to cut them if you use cake boards.

Stack your cardboards, find the center and poke a hole through both of them big enough for a long skewer to fit through. (A metal barbecue skewer works well).

Place one board on the top of your cake and one board on the bottom. Elevate the cake on a smaller cake pan, open side up (e.g., if your boards are 8" in diameter, elevate the cake on a 6" cake pan). A little piece of non-skid mat will keep the cake from sliding off the cake pan.

Insert your skewer all the way through the cake. The bottom of the skewer will be inside the cake pan. Leave the top of the skewer sticking up out of the top of the cake.

For carving, you'll need a serrated knife that's blade is longer than the cake is high. Using the cake boards as a guide, start trimming around your cake. When you reach the cake boards, the blade of the knife MUST ALWAYS be touching both boards.

Remove skewer and cake boards. Place the cake on it's own board, and there you have it!

Good luck!

Torimomma Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 7

Great technique!

cheatize Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 7

I just saw cake rings at Sur la Table. They are hanging overhead near the cake pans.

evans000 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 7

thanks diane, great i'll definately do that x

CounselorMom Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 7

Awesome Diane. I didn't know you could do that. I wish I would have known about this little tip last month, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%