Fbct Vs Ri Transfer

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 7:14pm by mindy1204

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:07am
post #1 of 5

I have only made RI transfers. And though I like them I am thinking of trying the FBCT.

Can someone tell me what the differences are? I know the FBCT wont get as hard as the RI but other than that what are the difference. Any tricks? Also with the FBCT you use the reverse side, with RI i have always just peeled the transfer off the wax paper and put it on the cake. I have never flipped it over.

I need to make a UF Gator head to put on a fondant cheesecake and a Boy Scout eagle that will go on top of Fondant.

Thank you in advance.

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 5

They are piped in the same way, basically. You outline your picture in what ever color on your wax paper and then fill in.

The difference with the FBCT is that you are building the picture from the bottom up (like you started) and with the same consistency of icing, I use a soft medium, that you used to outline, so no thinning down.

FBCTs are generally quicker to do, because RI transfers have to sit out and dry for at least a day if not more depending on the size. With a FBCT you can use it with in an hour or so.

Once on a cake an FBCT is just like any other buttercream decoration. It will crust over, but won't be hard and crunchy. You can cut through it just like you would your regular icing.

I love FBCT, and have used them many of times. They work well for me because I'm such a last minute person. icon_smile.gif

The best tip I can give, is when you are filling in the section, don't just pipe line. Move your tip around slowly and really let the icing build out away from your tip some. After it's been in the freezer for a bit I take mine out and flip it over then rub my finger over the top to help smooth out any lines. And once it is on the cake, I will also smooth over it with a viva paper towel.

I know some how to's tell you to use premade black, I just color my own icing black and haven't had an issue. I also don't do that extra layer of icing on the back up of like some of them do. But when you leave it off you have to make sure you build your transfer up thick enough to start with.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 5

I think making a color flow item. I think using color flow is stronger than the RI and much easier than the FBCT. It works the same way a doing a RI transfer but as I said it is much stronger as far as being thicker and easier to handle. You can buy a can of color flow whereever they sell Wilton products like Michaels or JoAnn's.
evelyn

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 5

Royal icing has been used to make those transfers for years and years and it works just fine. While Color flow may make a stronger piece, I have made plenty of RI transfers with no problem at all.

Since it is going on a cheese cake, something that needs to stay in the fridge I would go with the FBCT, because moisture can break down RI or CF transfers.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you, I am going to give it a shot...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%