I Need Help Making My Chocolate Brown Icing Very Dark!!!

Decorating By SugarMama5 Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 3:36am by gidgetdoescakes

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 20

Does anyone have any tips to make my butterecream a very dark, fudge looking buttercream??? I tried this afternoon & it's the sadest looking buttercream ever. I made my regular buttercream then added melted chocolate then some brown color paste and it's brown but not dark & fudgy looking, which is what I am wanting. Please help! Thanks!

This is what I am looking to do:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1272185

19 replies
ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 20

i use the buttercream recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can. You can make a very dark buttercream simply by substituting Hershey's "special dark" cocoa for some or all of the regular cocoa. The recipe for buttercream is the same on both cans. You can also buy "black" cocoa from the King Arthur Flour company.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 20

Add some food coloring to it. A little black and brown should do the trick.

SugarMama5 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:32am
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

Add some food coloring to it. A little black and brown should do the trick.

That's what I thought, but when I tried it, it was just kinda poopy looking...

SugarMama5 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:33am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycknits

i use the buttercream recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can. You can make a very dark buttercream simply by substituting Hershey's "special dark" cocoa for some or all of the regular cocoa. The recipe for buttercream is the same on both cans. You can also buy "black" cocoa from the King Arthur Flour company.

Thanks I think I'll try that. I've never heard of black cocoa, I'll have to look into that!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:38am
post #6 of 20

I use a modified version of Martha Stewart's and it has a dark rich color that I really like. The tast is very rich and dark, too. My family loves it! It's on the Basket of Berries cake in my photos http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1878138.

6 tbs Butter
6 tbs Vegetable Shortening
3 ½ cups Confectioners' Sugar
1 cup Cocoa Powder (dutch process is best)
2 tbs Meringue Powder
½ cup (prox) Milk, slightly warmer than room temperature
2 tsps vanilla

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:59am
post #7 of 20

When I make Chocolate Buttercream, I just add Cocoa Powder and some Hershey's Chocolate Syrup. The more Cocoa you add, the darker it gets. It will darken as it sits. If the consistency is too thick, just add more liquid. Hope this helps some.

Carmen500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carmen500 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 2:03am
post #8 of 20

I have used Martha Stewart's recipe, and add ultra dutch process cocoa (very very dark chocolate color) no need to add food color.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 2:19am
post #9 of 20

Toba Garrett's chocolate recipe is very dark and delicious also. hth

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 2:42am
post #10 of 20

black cocoa powder

SugarMama5 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:15am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I use a modified version of Martha Stewart's and it has a dark rich color that I really like. The tast is very rich and dark, too. My family loves it! It's on the Basket of Berries cake in my photos http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1878138.

6 tbs Butter
2 tbs Meringue Powder
2 tsps vanilla

Thanks SO much!! I'm going to try it out tomorrow! icon_smile.gif

SugarMama5 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:17am
post #12 of 20

Thanks for all the tips!! I appreciate it!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 2:07pm
post #13 of 20

I use the Special Dark cocoa and get it from Walmart. Love it!

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 2:17pm
post #14 of 20

I will probably get slammed for this icon_smile.gif , but for that small amount, I would pick up a can of chocolate frosting.

I can not stand the white frosting in a can, but the chocolate is pretty good. It looks just like the picture and it tastes really fudgey!

SugarMama5 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:13am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgarcia_98

I will probably get slammed for this icon_smile.gif , but for that small amount, I would pick up a can of chocolate frosting.

I can not stand the white frosting in a can, but the chocolate is pretty good. It looks just like the picture and it tastes really fudgey!

Lol, that's funny bc I asked the person who made that cake & she said the person she made it for asked for the Duncan Hines chocolate icing & that's what she used! I thought I might do that but I'll see if I can make up a batch of my own first. My husband thought I was nuts to even consider making it with Duncan Hines but it really is perfect for that. icon_wink.gif

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:37am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMama5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgarcia_98

Lol, that's funny bc I asked the person who made that cake & she said the person she made it for asked for the Duncan Hines chocolate icing & that's what she used! I thought I might do that but I'll see if I can make up a batch of my own first. My husband thought I was nuts to even consider making it with Duncan Hines but it really is perfect for that. icon_wink.gif

I keep a few cans in the cupboard just for this reason. I make the Wilton yearbook chocolate butter cream and add a can of milk chocolate icing. I tried this one day when someone here on CC suggested it . ( I didn't have enough cocoa to make my icing and didn't have the time to run to the store! ) Now I add it everytime I make chocolate bc!

SugarMama5 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:04pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

6 tbs Butter
2 tbs Meringue Powder
2 tsps vanilla

Thank you SO much for the recipe! And also to everyone about the Dutch process cocoa... It's a whole new world with better cocoa!! I can't believe the difference with the dutch process.... Thanks again!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh and I compared the taste of the recipe above and to Betty crocker chocolate frosting & it's almost the same in taste and color, very close. Just FYI icon_wink.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:24am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMama5

Thank you SO much for the recipe! And also to everyone about the Dutch process cocoa... It's a whole new world with better cocoa!! I can't believe the difference with the dutch process.... Thanks again!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh and I compared the taste of the recipe above and to Betty crocker chocolate frosting & it's almost the same in taste and color, very close. Just FYI icon_wink.gif

You're welcome, I'm glad you liked it. Isn't the dutch process amazing? I started using it when a Penzey's opened in my city and now I won't use anything else.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:32am
post #19 of 20

When I finally found a place on line that I could buy it I bought a 5lb. bag and I love not having to run to the store so often for reg. cocoa. I will say that it is definitely more expensive, but worth it.

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:36am
post #20 of 20

make dark chocolate modeling chocolate and then mix part into your fondant that you have colored brown....it also makes the fondant so nice to work with

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%