Sugaring Cake Boards

Decorating By bridge72 Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 5:45am by bridge72

bridge72 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone..*waves hand*

I want to cover my cake board in sanding sugar and I was wondering how soon is to soon to cover it? Oh btw, the cake is due on Sat. Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

4 replies
carmijok Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 5

I would put it on after I put my cake(s) on there and it was completely decorated. You don't necessarily want sanding sugar underneath your cake--and there's no reason to do it earlier I don't think.

How are you going to apply it? With a thin coat of clear piping gel? Don't know if that stuff completely dries, but it really doesn't have to I suppose. You'll probably have to touch it up here and there but that's no big deal.

bridge72 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the response!
Maybe I should correct myself...I meant to say on the display board. I cut out the area for the actual cake board so it won't be directly sitting on the sugar.

I just did a test on a piece of paper that I wrapped the board with...I just used regular corn syrup to adhere the sugar to the paper. It's holding so I may just use that.

My concern is how would I get the excess sugar off if I place the cake on it first? Maybe I'll sugar it then place the decorated cake on directly after...keeping my fingers crossed it works.

carmijok Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 5

Maybe mark the area where your cake will be and paint your syrup and sprinkle sugar around that. I had figured your cake would be on a board...I was just thinking it might be a bit of a gooey, slippery situation for the cake if you put it on your gel (or corn syrup)/sugar mixture.

Just out of curiosity, is the sugar supposed to represent something, like sand?

bridge72 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:45am
post #5 of 5

I did just that...marked the edge of the cake board. I'm planning on a fire and ice themed cake and want the red, orange and yellow sugar to represent the start of flames. It it all goes well I will definitely post a pic.
Thanks for all your help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%