How Do I Recreate This Type Of Draping?

Decorating By LilDvL Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 3:41am by ycknits

LilDvL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilDvL Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 11

I want to recreate this type of draping. What should I use and what should I use to "glue" them to the cake?

thanks!!
[url]
http://www.celebritybrideguide.com/the-hangover-wedding/[/url]

10 replies
idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 11

link didn't work...

LilDvL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilDvL Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 11
kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 11

Thats a prop cake, made out of plaster and other non food materials. Getting your drape to look exactly like that may be really hard, I'd practice on a dummy cake and give it a few tries until you acheive the look that is similar to that.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 11

It's not hard at all actually. You form those pleats over skewers set so far apart, and more skewers on top, pressed into the dents from teh skewers beneath the GP or fondant. Slide skewers out, let set up a bit, flip over, brush with gum glue, attach to cake.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisamarie

Thats a prop cake, made out of plaster and other non food materials.

I'm not sure about that but this is how I have done it in the past;
Use fondant and or fondant/gumpaste mix. Roll out and cut your fondant longer that you need. Each tier is its own strip, it is not one solid piece all the way down. I lay my strip over some dowels that are evenly separated. Then I pull the dowels together to create the draping. Then lift the fondant to place on the cake. In this cake it looks straight so don't let it sag. Remove excess from ends. The flowers where the tiers meet will hid your joins. I have used water in the past but now use a "glue" I make with fondant and water.
HTH

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 12:38am
post #7 of 11

" The cake used in the movie is a faux cake created by CakeRentals.com" ------From the article.

But I agree with the ladies above on the teqnique of using the dowels, thats how I do my draping. GL

michellew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellew Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 12:57am
post #8 of 11

I have just had a go at doing these on a cake, I used the skewers to get the pleats but I slightly damped the cake and placed them on.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2124331/2124332

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:15am
post #9 of 11

I used Albert Uster's white chocolate fondant on a cake with draping. It's the only fondant that I find soooo easy to use. I rolled out the fondant into a rectangle just like fabric and then gathered it at both ends and the folds just fell into place. I draped it on the cake and pressed the ends onto the cake with a wee bit of vodka brushed on to hold it. I'm sure if I used skewered to form the pleats it would have been even better but it just goes to show that drapes are relatively simple to do.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1912817

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:43am
post #10 of 11

Ive used skewers to hold the draping in the cakes with draping in my pics. I stick it through down deep into the cake and cut off the excess. Have had no issues with the draping ripping through the skewer either. For me this held better.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:41am
post #11 of 11

I cut rectangles of fondant. Fold over the very edges of the long edges of the rectangle and pin down with gumpaste glue.... kind of like putting a little rolled hem on a piece of fabric. This gives a lovely, finished edge and prevents tearing along the edges. Then I gently pull ends together, pleating it as I go to get gentle folds.

Then I attach with melted candy melts. This gives me a much stronger bond that sets up much more quickly than glue. No need to "pin" the drape. I do use gumpaste glue to attach the inside pleats of the drape directly to the cake in a few places to support its weight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%