Situation About Expertise

Decorating By gladysrdz24 Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 2:22pm by gladysrdz24

gladysrdz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gladysrdz24 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 10

Ok so I recently took on an order of a fondant cake for 200 hundred pple with musical notes pipework all over. I Charged her 650. Yes I know all of you guys prob think its a low number but I feel for my quality of work it is fair. The person that ordered this cake came to me because she saw my website so obviously she saw my cakes. But Im also almost 100 % sure she only chose me because I was the cheapest she could find. I know she had been shoppin around. All of the pictures she showed me are of beautiful cakes with absolutely perfectly smooth fondant and no flaws whatsover. And although I have been doing cakes for a while I still find myself struggling at times. So my questions is should I tell her that my level of expertise is not to par to the pictures she showed and not to expect a masterpiece. Or should that be given since she saw my pictures already? I know I want to do the cake I really do. I like challenges but Im also scared she will hate and demand a full refund. What do you guys think? Look at my cakes and tell me what you think. I think that if she wanted and absolutely awesome awesome cake she would probabbly be paying double or triple what I am charging her. I dont know. Maybe Im just scared and cofused.

9 replies
ljchevygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljchevygirl Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 10

I think you should not say anything about your level of expertise. I looked at some of your cakes and I really loved your blue cake. It was beautiful. I am still a beginner and I have been asked to do stuff, like my pocketbook cake and I did my best and yes I know it wasn't perfect but thankfully I could hide my booboos with fondant flowers. I say do your best and I am sure the customer will be happy.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 10

She saw your work, she hired you. Nothing to discuss!

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 10

I took a look at your fondant tiered cakes in your photo gallery here and they all look clean and neatly done.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, you do very nice work.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 10

I think your cakes are pretty. I think they are "masterpieces". Make no excuses for your talent.

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 10

I wouldn't say anything. Your cakes look great! I'm sure you will be fine. I usually just tell people that I will do my best at replicating the design they want. They are understanding about it.
Fedra

brown_suga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brown_suga Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 10

According to the cakes in your gallery, you have nothing to worry about. icon_smile.gif they are beautiful. Just be sure to give yourself plenty of time to work on each little detail and do whatever you can ahead, you'll be fine. And remember, as decorators we tend to criticize our cakes more but what we see as a flaw on our own cakes, sometimes the untrained eye doesn't even notice. Besides, she seen your work so she should know what to expect.

SweetMelissa730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa730 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 10

Your cakes are beautiful. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. When it's all done, she will be getting one hell of a bargain!!

gladysrdz24 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the reassurance! I feel wee bit better.

gladysrdz24 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 10

Final cake done and delivered... thank goodness done with that.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2149175

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%