Black Icing/piping/painting On White Fondant

Decorating By lmnissen Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 11:17am by seedrv

lmnissen Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 4

I'm very nervous about a cake I'm doing in a few days. It is supposed to be a white cake with black designs. I'm going to be using black fondant for the larger parts, but I'm uncertain as to what to use for the small details. I'm torn between a black royal icing or creating a "paint" using black food gel and vodka. What is the best option? Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for black royal icing that won't run in a humid climate. I think I'd like the look of the icing better than painting it on. Also, if I use royal icing, do you think I could pipe it onto wax paper to dry it and transfer it t the cake? I have a styrofoam dummy I could use so it would dry curved. So nervous abut this cake.

3 replies
seedrv Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 4

When I put black fondant pieces on white or light colored fondant, I attach it with Crisco. If I use water, I get a black smear if it slides or if I have to move it in a different position. You could also consider a black food marker. I've cleaned it off of fondant with vodka when I make mistakes. Sorry I can't help with the RI questions. Good luck!!

lmnissen Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks. I've never though of using Crisco. That's an awesome idea!

seedrv Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 11:17am
post #4 of 4

Oh, the Crisco wasn't my discovery. I saw Sharon Zambito use it on a video. It works well, though, and doesn't leave water marks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%