First Caketastrophe! :(

Decorating By susiessweetsaz Updated 28 Aug 2011 , 1:42pm by Lemmers

susiessweetsaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susiessweetsaz Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 23

I did a cake on Saturday for a birthday party, it was 3 tier topsy turvy, luau themed. I finished it early, everything was going wonderfully, I was really happy with how it came out....then halfway to the customer's house on delivery, it collapsed! icon_sad.gif I was horrified!!!! I called her immediately and told her I was going back home to see if I could repair it, which I did, the back wasn't pretty, but it was standing and made it there on the second delivery attempt. I had doweled it like I always do, but when I got it back home, I realized that the board between the 2nd tier and the bottom tier wasn't supporting the heaviest side...live and learn! icon_sad.gif She emailed me yesterday and said that it collapsed again before they cut it. This has never happened to me before and I don't know if I should give her a full refund, partial refund, a voucher for another cake...I just don't know what to do. I mean, it is cake and I know these things happen, but I feel so bad. icon_cry.gif

22 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 23

I'm sorry this happened to you, but it does sound like the cake wasn't supported properly.

I know "it's cake and things happen" but a solidly supported cake shouldn't collapse.

If this were my client I would refund 100% since the cake didn't stand throughout the party.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 23

Since you had issues on delivery and it was a support issue, I would give her a full refund. You did try to fix it, though you even said it wasn't 'pretty in the back' and the cake still fell again.

She paid for a pretty cake that would stand up during the party.

I would have actually offered her a refund of some sort when I got there and knew the cake was not completely up to par. At that point it may not have been a full refund, depending on the exact damage and how well I was able to make the cake presentable. But with the other issues afterward, I do feel she is due something more than a "I'm sorry this happened."

I also don't really like the voucher idea when it comes to issues like this.

cakestyles Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 23

I'm not a fan of offering a voucher for a future order when things like this happen either.

I think it's better to address the issue immediately with some sort of a refund.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 23

I am sorry this happened, but i too, would offer full refund.You will come out in your business better in the future to do this. hth

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 23

No doubt, 100% refund is in order, nothing less.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 23

I'm with the 100% refunds. Sorry this happened.

susiessweetsaz Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 23

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, full refund, just wanted to get some more opinions. I am all for providing the best customer service and I am so upset this happened. The structure was what I have always done in the past and it has never had a problem, but this cake was more dense and the bottom just couldn't hold the weight. So again, live & learn. I am also doing a cake for this same client for a charity event this coming weekend that's a donation....so I have a chance to redeem myself a little bit. icon_redface.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by susiessweetsaz

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, full refund, just wanted to get some more opinions. I am all for providing the best customer service and I am so upset this happened. The structure was what I have always done in the past and it has never had a problem, but this cake was more dense and the bottom just couldn't hold the weight. So again, live & learn. I am also doing a cake for this same client for a charity event this coming weekend that's a donation....so I have a chance to redeem myself a little bit. icon_redface.gif

So glad you posted this. I know you know what happened to ME last weekend! It sounds like your story and mine are identical! My support gave way exactly like yours did. In my case it was the heat combined with the weight of the cake. It must be the nature of the topsy turvy. Note to self: SPS from now on with topsy turvy's for sure!

I really do know how devastated you feel, but you do have a chance to redeem yourself both with a refund and the charity cake so don't beat yourself up too badly. We learn from our mistakes don't we? icon_lol.gif In the end it's how we handle our caketastrophes that matter. And it sounds like you're handling it well!
Sending you virtual hugs from a fellow topsy turvy disaster survivor! thumbs_up.gif

susiessweetsaz Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 9:37pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

So glad you posted this. I know you know what happened to ME last weekend! It sounds like your story and mine are identical! My support gave way exactly like yours did. In my case it was the heat combined with the weight of the cake. It must be the nature of the topsy turvy. Note to self: SPS from now on with topsy turvy's for sure!

I really do know how devastated you feel, but you do have a chance to redeem yourself both with a refund and the charity cake so don't beat yourself up too badly. We learn from our mistakes don't we? icon_lol.gif In the end it's how we handle our caketastrophes that matter. And it sounds like you're handling it well!
Sending you virtual hugs from a fellow topsy turvy disaster survivor! thumbs_up.gif

Thank you! Hugs back to you too! It just makes me sick to my stomach thinking about the whole thing. But I guess there's a first time for everything....the next cake I make will probably be all dowels because I will be paranoid! LOL icon_smile.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 9:43pm
post #11 of 23

same thing happened to me a few weeks ago with a small 75 serving wedding. It was covered in fondant, and the bottom collapsed! I pressed it back together and told them no charge, but they had a big discount anyway and insisted on paying me.

carmijok Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 9:51pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:

the next cake I make will probably be all dowels because I will be paranoid! LOL icon_smile.gif

I really think it's a topsy-turvy issue, so don't get paranoid...unless it's another topsy-turvy! icon_surprised.gif

I really don't think I'll try one of those again for a long time! icon_lol.gif

susiessweetsaz Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:02pm
post #13 of 23

I've done other topsy turvy cakes with no problem...it was a luau cake with a tiki head on top...I think he cursed me, LOL!

I emailed my client yesterday and told her I would give her a full refund, she replied and said that she appreciated my effort and they still ate it and it was delicious, so she just wants a partial refund...at least now I know they were at least able to eat it! I was afraid it had fallen on the floor or something! icon_surprised.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:53pm
post #14 of 23

I'm sure she appreciated that you offered her a full refund and it's great that she was understanding about the whole thing. icon_smile.gif

carmijok Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 5:32pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:

I've done other topsy turvy cakes with no problem...it was a luau cake with a tiki head on top...I think he cursed me, LOL!

Second note to self: No tiki heads!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 5:48pm
post #16 of 23

Let me just say this one more time, "Throw away those freakin' dowels and switch to SPS."

There. I feel better.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 6:17pm
post #17 of 23

Ditto. Second. Amen. And thanks, Leah, for introducing me and everyone else on this site to SPS. Don't give up. I've never heard anyone on here say they tried it and went back to dowels. How can you spend your precious time and talent decorating a cake that may/can/might/will collapse?

cakestyles Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 7:24pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:

I emailed my client yesterday and told her I would give her a full refund, she replied and said that she appreciated my effort and they still ate it and it was delicious, so she just wants a partial refund...at least now I know they were at least able to eat it! I was afraid it had fallen on the floor or something! icon_surprised.gif

Well, I'm not sure if you're too young to remember The Brady Bunch, but Greg had all sorts of problems when he found that tiki head necklace in Hawaii!!! lol

She sounds like a great client, that's really nice of her to only want a partial refund. I think you have a client for life.

Oh and I'm sorry to say that SPS didn't work for me. My cakes are always about 5" tall or just under and I had no luck cutting the taller legs to size...I found them REALLY difficult to cut by hand. icon_sad.gif

I use another similar plate/pillar system though, no wooden dowels for me.

jessicakes63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicakes63 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 7:35pm
post #19 of 23

Well, I'm not sure if you're too young to remember The Brady Bunch, but Greg had all sorts of problems when he found that tiki head necklace in Hawaii!!! lol

I REMEMBER THAT! lol. Haven't thought about it in a long time...thanks for the reminder.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 7:37pm
post #20 of 23

Cakestyles, SPS offers legs that come pre-cut to 5". Not a problem at all.

cakestyles Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 10:40pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Cakestyles, SPS offers legs that come pre-cut to 5". Not a problem at all.

I didn't know about that, thank you!

susiessweetsaz Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:39pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Quote:

Second note to self: No tiki heads!

He came out really good too....I guess a little TOO good! icon_smile.gif

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 1:42pm
post #23 of 23

I live in the UK and cannot find SPS for love nor money *sigh*, so unfortunately us Brits are stuck with the dowels icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%