Help! Sugar Flowers Don't Stick To Wires

Decorating By mariette Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 6:37am by sugarshack

mariette Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 14

Can anyone please help me..
Today I made my first peony, but some of the petals didn't stick to the wire (I used A grade wires). I used egg white to glue with and let it dry for several hours. When I took a petal and carefully bend the wire a little bit, the petal could turn around the wire.. not good icon_sad.gif

Has anyone got any sugestions how it will stick better to the wire / what I'm doing wrong?

For the ones who are interested, this is the peony I made. It is now drying in a big glass:

13 replies
TexasSugar Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 14

It's a pretty flower.

Where the wires you were using wrapped wires?

mariette Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

It's a pretty flower.

Where the wires you were using wrapped wires?

Yes, the where wrapped.

m_willford Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 14

What sort of wire are you using? I tried to make some wired flowers and was having the same problem you were. Figured out that you are supposed to use the wire that has the tape/fabric stuff on it! That gives the water or egg white something to stick to. icon_smile.gif The next ones I made sure to use the covered stuff and the flowers stuck just fine.

Your flower is gorgeous, by the way!

babapeela Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 14

all the flowers i have ever made the wire has been inserted into the paste, i have never heard of sticking the wire to the paste, perhaps there just isn't enough strength in sticking it on?

mariette Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by babapeela

all the flowers i have ever made the wire has been inserted into the paste, i have never heard of sticking the wire to the paste, perhaps there just isn't enough strength in sticking it on?

Sorry, my English isn't very good, but I indead did insert the wire into the paste. I used wire that was wrapped with tape. I made a litle loop in it and dipped it into the egg white. Than I inserted it into the paste.
I let it dry for a while. When I tried to bend the flower together, some of the petals turned around the wire because they didn't stick.

TexasSugar Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 14

Okay, when you make the hook in the wire that is only for larger pieces, like the center of a rose.

When you insert the wire into the petals you don't need the hook, you just need the straight wire. What may be happening is that the hook/loop portion is probably opening that area up more than just a wire would, so that it is loose around the wire.

If you were just to insert the straight wire your hole should only be as wide as the wire then, and it should stick better with a taped wire dipped in something to glue it in place.

mariette Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 14

@TexasSugar: Thanks for your advice. Next time I will try it that way.

TexasSugar Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 14

I hoped it made since what I was saying.

kisamarie Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 14

I watched the tutorial Edna did on Roses and she uses gumpaste glue, I guess it has tylose mixed in or something. Im having problems keeping the hooked covered floral wire in my Rose buds, when I turn them over to hang dry, they fall off icon_cry.gif . I am going to see if the gumpaste glue works better than egg whites. Ill have to hunt up the recipe for it, or if anyone knows it, please post it!

TexasSugar Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 9:40pm
post #11 of 14

On your rose buds, pull the wired down through the top and reform that shape. If you push the hook up in the base you are creating a bigger hole than the wire and it could stay loose. Gumpaste also shrinks a little when it dries.

Another thing you can do is heat the wire then push it in the gumpaste. The hot wire melts the gumpaste then creates a pretty instant bond between the two of them. No glue needed for that.

kisamarie Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 10:35pm
post #12 of 14

Good Advice TexasSugar!! Ill try both of those methods!

SharonWeeCreations Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 11:33pm
post #13 of 14

I don't know if this will help but once you insert the wire with the glue, I find that if you pinch the end of the petal onto the wire (to anchor it) it works for me. Rolling the gum past thinner might help too?

sugarshack Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 6:37am
post #14 of 14

I think the reason is that the petals were not dry enough. they have to be fully dry (24 hours or more) and hard before you bend the wires and assemble them, or the wire does pull through the petal, IMO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%