Tx Food Handlers Certification

Business By DALIG Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 3:42am by cake_architect

DALIG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DALIG Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 8

Ok i read on the texas cottage food law page that you could get the food handlers course to help you protect your self and your clients by providing them with safer products so i found this 2 pages that offer them on line for just $10,

https://secure2.360training.com/vu3/index.cfm?event=asvHome&asvID=74808&cid=2618

http://www.foodhandlersoftexas.com/

in the first said something like this:

The Texas Department of State Health Services recognizes and has approved this Learn2serve.com Food Handler's Course. All students must present their completion certificate to their local health authority and must pay the required fees associated with registration at their local authority. The course fees do not cover the any fees associated with your local health department.

so my questions are: do we have to register at the our local health dept. or does that not apply to us because of the law? and if we do about how much does it cost? has any body got it yet? and i am plannin on getting the serve safe manager couse too does it apply to it too?

thank you for your help and i hope this help others too.

7 replies
LCBakinCAKE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LCBakinCAKE Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 8

No sure how it applies to cottage law, but I would suggest getting Serv Safe. I believe getting Serv Safe automatically gets you a Food Handler's certificate. Even if it is not necessary, there are so many things you learn in the serv safe book that you would never think about in a work place and it will help keep your place sanitary. I am thinking about opening a home base business and got my Serv Safe a few months ago.

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 8

Very Helpful! Thanks for sharing!!

DALIG Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 12:24am
post #4 of 8

well like i said i am thinking of getting the serv safe too but i cant find a place to take a class i know that an hour from where i live i can probably take the exam but can you all tell me what book do i need to buy i looked it up at amazon and they have diferent editions, is it the 5th? wich i think is the latest or i was thinking on do in it on line, at learn2serv.com but which one would you all recomend?

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 12:55am
post #5 of 8

I have my ServSafe certificate, but took the course in Louisiana. Moving to Texas next month, anyone know if it will be valid?

DALIG Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:16am
post #6 of 8

i was looking in to learn2serv.com and i think that the price is gook $99 for preparation course and exam, you need to complete the course wich takes 8 hrs that you can do on your own paced and than i figure that they give you 2 hrs. for the exam since it says that the credit hours are 10, and you have 6 months to complete the course and take the exam i know this because they have live chat support and they are really nice if you have any questions about the serv safe just go to

[url]360trainingsupport.com[/url]

i think that they give you information on any website doing the serv safe course since they asked me what web page was i on,(since i wasnt logged in) and then he looked for the answers to my questions, but if you have any questions about the serv safe i guess you can try them. good luck

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:37am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALIG

do we have to register at the our local health dept. or does that not apply to us because of the law?

It still applies. The food handlers certification is not valid until you take the printable certificate (given to you at the end of the online course) in to your local health dept and pay the fee they charge.

Quote:

and if we do about how much does it cost?

In my county I had to pay $10. So the $10 online plus the $10 at the health dept totaled $20 for my food handlers certification. If they offer the course at the health dept (sit in the class for 2 hrs then take the the written test) you only have to pay $10 total. Check with the department to see if they offer this in your county, and if they do what days/times they offer it (my county is 3 days a week)

Quote:

has any body got it yet?

I have my food handlers permit because I've worked in food service for years. Its good for 2 years so you have to renew it every time it expires.

Quote:

and i am plannin on getting the serve safe manager couse too does it apply to it too?

I'm sorry, I haven't taken the manager course :/ but with everything, check with your local health dept first. The online courses are good for convince, but don't pay until you know it will be valid in your county.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:42am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by korensmommy

I have my ServSafe certificate, but took the course in Louisiana. Moving to Texas next month, anyone know if it will be valid?

You will have to get a Texas food handlers card. Also, the city of Plano requires you to have a certificate that is specific to their county, so you may want to check on that if you are moving to that area.

http://www.learn2serve.com/texas-food-handler-certification/

http://www.learn2serve.com/texas-food-handler-certification/food-handler-course-details.cfm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%