Cakes For Carving

Decorating By SHiggins Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 4:11pm by rosa369

SHiggins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHiggins Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone. I am new to the boards! I have grown up watching my mom make cakes and I am following in her footsteps! I do not make cakes to sell just for friends and family. So, this year for my sons 4th birthday I decided to have a go at carving. I made a batmobile... I think it came out OK ( other than the fact that The joker must have given batman 4 flat tires... and When I wrote my son Ian's name it looked more like "I am" . Can anyone suggest the best type of cake to use for carving? When I was carving the batmobile it was crumbling ALL OVER! I baked it and let it sit for almost 36 hours before decorating in hopes it would not be soo moist... but it still was! It was so moist and I couldn't even get a layer of butter cream on it to get the fondant to stick. I was heating up my spatula with hot water to get the room temperature butter cream to go on a little easier... but there HAS TO BE AN EASIER WAY! hehe... I look forward to hearing everyone's suggestions
I posted a picture of the cake in my gallery... since I am new to the board I am not sure how to post it in this message

5 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,
I'm not sure where you're from but, the best carving cake in America (going by Cake Boss & Ace of Cakes) is "Pound Cake" and I have also seen them using "Red Velvet Cake" whereas if you're from the UK, these recipes can also be used, but I have used sponge or madiera cakes. For some carved pieces on cakes people also use "Rice Krispy Treats" because they are better for scupting different things and some times hold up better than cake, depending on what you are making, if you want some recipes, there's no better than searching this website, there's a huge recipes section!

Hope this helps! Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

SHiggins Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamAndButtercream

Hi,
I'm not sure where you're from but, the best carving cake in America (going by & Ace of Cakes) is "Pound Cake" and I have also seen them using "Red Velvet Cake" whereas if you're from the UK, these recipes can also be used, but I have used sponge or madiera cakes. For some carved pieces on cakes people also use "Rice Krispy Treats" because they are better for scupting different things and some times hold up better than cake, depending on what you are making, if you want some recipes, there's no better than searching this website, there's a huge recipes section!

Hope this helps! Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Thank you so much for the advice. I will def try a pound cake next time! I did consider the rice crispy treat but wanted to actually be able to eat the cake.

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 6

I will be tackling on my 1st carved cake this week. This is the recipe I'm using since it's been a hit here on CC.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

SHiggins Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCword

I will be tackling on my 1st carved cake this week. This is the recipe I'm using since it's been a hit here on CC.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

great! thanks for the advice!

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 6

TheCword, I'll try this recipe. One question, usually the cake mixes now come with pudding in it, will you add another pudding?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%