Help With Buttercream For Wedding Cupcakes

Baking By staceyh123 Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 12:21pm by staceyh123

staceyh123 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 11:45am
post #1 of 5

I am making 200 cupcakes for my sister's wedding. I have decided on sticky ginger cupcakes with lemon buttercream and have perfected them with many practices. I was browsing on the web and saw a few posts talking about buttercream melting in the summer which made me panic (the wedding is in the end of August and could potentially be very warm).

When I have practiced my cakes, I have never refrigerated them and they have never melted. Even so, just to be safe, I have practiced a few batches with buttercream made from half butter half Trex as I read that shortening melts at a higher temperature. These cakes have not been as nice as my others and the buttercream does not seem to crust.

I would prefer to use all butter. Does anyone have any suggestions for a buttercream that won't melt and has a nice crust?

4 replies
SteveJ Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 5

i know this isn't really answering your question but you could test out your different buttercreams by putting some test cupcakes in a very low oven. use an over thermometer to see what temperature the oven is and very slowly increase the temperature until it melts!

you never know, your buttercream may not melt until the temperature reaches an impossibly high temperature!

cakegirl1973 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 5

Butter will start to melt at 85 degrees. If you use an all butter recipe, and if your cupcakes are exposed to temperatures of 85 degrees or higher, they will begin to melt. There is no all-butter buttercream recipe that will not melt when exposed to this amount of heat.

staceyh123 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 12:17pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks guys, do you know if Swiss or Italian BC are better for withstanding heat?

staceyh123 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 5

Or, does anyone know how to make a shortening BC which crusts?

Quote by @%username% on %date%