Newly Home Business, How To Get Customers??

Business By Bunda Updated 16 Jun 2015 , 1:08pm by vick3085

Bunda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunda Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 10:22am
post #1 of 13

I live in Sweden, and I just started this home business (no customer yet icon_sad.gif) since me and my husband new to this city, so we don't really have many friends and relatives, they all live far away from us. so its kind of difficult to tell people that I bake!
But I already put some ads in some places, hoping that people will look at it.
Now, about pricing and delivery fee and deposit. How did you guys do that? Did you start it with being a bit cheap and easy or just go pro right away?

12 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 11:38am
post #2 of 13

go to near by markets/ events and hand out mini cupcakes with your busniess cards. Don't go cheap to start. IF anything say 25% off your first order so your return customers don't come back expecting a cheap price again.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 6:40am
post #3 of 13

I started at prices much higher than the local market. Do your research and price according to your ability, not because you are new. Get your product physically out there... with your cards.

cms2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cms2 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 13

I agree...don't start off cheap. Be fair and reasonable but not cheap. You need to make a profit or else there is no point. If you start out low, you will find it hard to raise your prices later down the road. And you'll start to resent that you're doing all this work for such little money. I can speak from experience on that one. I did not feel like I could charge a lot in the beginning but you do get good at it very quickly.

Start making cakes and take pictures. People will be more inclined to try you if they can see the kind of work you produce. Also take cupcakes around to local places along with your buisness card. Everybody loves free food! Be nice and confident and tell them you're trying to spread the word. Sound excited! Create a website if you don't already have one. Does your husband have coworkers? That could definitely be a good start. Start sending goodies to work with him.

HTH Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

Bunda Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 6:03am
post #5 of 13

I always think my prices a bit too expensive, thats why I always feel like making it cheap to get customers, but my husband says its ok.
And I already have a website and pictures in it as well, also put ads in some places to let people know.
And I already did give sweets to my husband's coworkers, but since he works in computer company, so the chance is pretty small. Most of them are nerds (husband said) so they don't care much about things like that.
Btw, thanks for all your suggestions icon_smile.gif

LittleBroccoli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBroccoli Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 7:51am
post #6 of 13

I started by offering to do friends cakes for cost, on the condition that I can place my cards by the cake. Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 13

That depends on what kind of cakes you do. If your willing to spnd a little up front it can really pay off in the end.

If you are selling dessert items, try a local farmers market or fair, give away small samples and show up weekly so people expect to see you and slowly grow the bussines,

If you sell birthday/ childrens cakes maybe get bussiness card/ brichures in your areas popular children's party locations.

For wedding cakes, I do 2 shows a year and I book about 50% of my calendar from the leads I get, you may want to check one out.

And don't under estimate the power of the internet, I started my cake bussinees twice in two different states with the first several months of bussiness coming from website inquirys and Pay Per Lead sites (Wedplan, Eventective, etc- not sure if you have an equivalent in the UK)

Good Luck

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 13

In my opinion, you have to have a website. People go to the internet to find what they want. Especially since you do not have a store front for people to notice and remember.

Sign up on every website that allows a free listing for your business. Always carry business cards and have your husband keep some in his wallet. Every once in a while send some treats with your husband to work or take some to your work. I took some cupcakes to my tax accountant for he and his staff. He passed them out to his clients he saw that day. I have gotten several orders off of that.

Att the beginning of every year I mail out a coupon to all my customers for 10% off their next order. The coupon expires at the end of the year so it keeps them coming back to me in a timely manner.

Bunda Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 13

I do have a website already, even got swedish page in it too, so people will understand better.
I mostly do cupcakes and small cakes. wish I could have a chance to do wedding cake someday..
And for business cards, I'm just planning to make them (never thought of it) icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions icon_smile.gif

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 8:11pm
post #10 of 13

I was under the impression that Sweden doesn't allow home bakeries?

Bunda Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:37pm
post #11 of 13

No they don't. But my husband already checked with them, if I only get orders maximum 8 per year, I don't need license or legal papers to do it. Because the consider it as a hobby, but if I get more than that then of course I need legal papers and stuffs. Since I'm new and no customer yet, I'm not making it legal business, want to wait until I have more customers then I'll work with the papers.

cakecoachonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecoachonline Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:20pm
post #12 of 13

I would say that you first have to establish which type of cakes you are confident at producing - and therefore this answer will lead you to where to find the customers. For example if you are producing fun childrens cakes - then finding some mother and toddler groups or giving out fliers at a school gate or leaflets on the cars near the school would work fairly cheaply. Once you establish who your target market is - it is much easier to have a focused campaign on where to get your name known. Once you have fulfilled a couple of orders and got totally happy customers - word of mouth will happen automatically (and of course this is the cheapest)

vick3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vick3085 Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 1:08pm
post #13 of 13

I am known as cake artist through out my town and by family and friends but i only get like a few customers per month. I get compliments on my cake style and taste all the time but my prices may be high for the poor town i live in. What can i do to get more customers?i want to have a huge cake tasting party but i cant do it without bringing my competition in, without the proper advertisment and an exceptional venue. Check me out by putting v24townsend.wix.com/the-cake-smartist into your browser

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%