My Info About Imbc - Feedback Please!

Baking By zespri Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 7:01am by lilmissbakesalot

zespri Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 7:25am
post #1 of 6

I was hoping some folk 'in the know' can give me some feedback on the facts I've collected about IMBC. I haven't made it often, so rely on other people's experiences. I'd like to get all my facts down in one file, so was hoping for contributions. This is what I've learned so far. True, or false? Anything to add? Any jewels of info everyone should know?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* Butter MUST be unsalted, or the end result will taste too buttery.
* Butter must be so soft your fingers go right through it.
* Boil the syrup at a high temperature, get it to temperature as fast as possible. I think this is to prevent sugar crystals forming at a low flame.
* Egg whites must be very stiff, so that if you push it to the side it stays there.
* If you use pasteurised egg whites, start beating them before making the syrup, as they take longer to beat.
* Once the syrup has been added, just keep beating until the bowl is completely cool before adding the butter. If its hotter than the butter, it will melt it. I think thats when it goes soupy.....? If it does, then just keep beating, it WILL come right. Might take ten minutes, or even up to half an hour....??
* Switch from the whisk to the paddle once you are ready to add butter, to prevent air bubbles.
* When you are ready to add butter, ONLY beat at the lowest possible speed. This will prevent the meringue from breaking, and will produce up to a whole cup more icing.
* Dont hot-knife the icing, it will ruin the colour. To smooth it, apply it to your cake, smooth it, then freeze it for 15 minutes. Then use a scraper to tidy it up. If the scraper gets warm, cool it in ice water and dry it before continuing.
* IMBC does not take colour as well as regular colour is this due to the fat content?
* It will take a long time for it to come back to room temperature, overnight at least.

Questions:
* It can sit out at room temperature for how long?
* It can be kept in the fridge for how long?
* It can be kept in the freezer for how long?

* What makes it go lumpy and curdled looking?
* When would you need to add cream of tartar? Ive heard it can stabilise the eggs... but Im not sure what that means or when its necessary?
* At what point should I start beating fresh egg whites in order to get it timed perfectly?

Thanks for anyone willing to contribute or give feedback!

5 replies
LisaPeps Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 9:21am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

I was hoping some folk 'in the know' can give me some feedback on the facts I've collected about IMBC. I haven't made it often, so rely on other people's experiences. I'd like to get all my facts down in one file, so was hoping for contributions. This is what I've learned so far. True, or false? Anything to add? Any jewels of info everyone should know?
* Butter MUST be unsalted, or the end result will taste too buttery.

This is down to personal preference. I prefer using unsalted, there was a thread about salted vs unsalted.

* Butter must be so soft your fingers go right through it.

I follow FromScratchSF's blog tutorial which states the butter should be 72F or warmer

* Boil the syrup at a high temperature, get it to temperature as fast as possible. I think this is to prevent sugar crystals forming at a low flame.

True, as far as I'm aware. That's the way I do it.

* Egg whites must be very stiff, so that if you push it to the side it stays there.

True, as far as I'm aware. That's the way I do it.

* If you use pasteurised egg whites, start beating them before making the syrup, as they take longer to beat.

I don't know about this, someone else may be able to help

* Once the syrup has been added, just keep beating until the bowl is completely cool before adding the butter. If its hotter than the butter, it will melt it. I think thats when it goes soupy.....? If it does, then just keep beating, it WILL come right. Might take ten minutes, or even up to half an hour....??

I add the butter when the meringue is still luke warm. I add the butter all in one go.

* Switch from the whisk to the paddle once you are ready to add butter, to prevent air bubbles.

This is what I do when I make IMBC

* When you are ready to add butter, ONLY beat at the lowest possible speed. This will prevent the meringue from breaking, and will produce up to a whole cup more icing.

This is what I do when I make IMBC

* Dont hot-knife the icing, it will ruin the colour. To smooth it, apply it to your cake, smooth it, then freeze it for 15 minutes. Then use a scraper to tidy it up. If the scraper gets warm, cool it in ice water and dry it before continuing.

I don't know about this, someone else may be able to help

* IMBC does not take colour as well as regular colour is this due to the fat content?

I have used fruit to add colour, in my pics there are cupcakes with yellow IMBC and red IMBC. The yellow was coloured purely using Passionfruit curd and the red had strawberry puree + a little bit of food colour added. I haven't had many issues colouring IMBC. You could consider using candy colours (oil based) so that it mixes with the fat content better.

* It will take a long time for it to come back to room temperature, overnight at least.

I don't think it's quite as long as over night but it does take time. I'd say maybe 4 hours, depending on how much you are defrosting.

Questions:
* It can sit out at room temperature for how long?

I've had mine out for a week at room temp and it's been fine.

* It can be kept in the fridge for how long?

Not sure.

* It can be kept in the freezer for how long?

I think with most things cake related, 3 months is a good starting point. The actual amount of time, I don't know.

* What makes it go lumpy and curdled looking?

Not sure, I think it's to do with the butter not incorporating properly though.

* When would you need to add cream of tartar? Ive heard it can stabilise the eggs... but Im not sure what that means or when its necessary?

You add cream of tartar when you are whisking the egg whites to stiff peaks. My recipe doesn't call for it though as a percentage of the sugar is added to the eggs to help them reach meringue stage rather than using c of t

* At what point should I start beating fresh egg whites in order to get it timed perfectly?

I usually start the sugar and egg whites at the same time.

Thanks for anyone willing to contribute or give feedback!

HTH

zespri Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 9:33am
post #3 of 6

That was really helpful, thanks so much Lisa! P.S. love that you're from 'studley' icon_wink.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 6

I don't know about beating at the lowest speed with the butter. I have made IMBC many different ways and it all comes out fine. I follow Warren Brown's recipe on YouTube and it's fine. I have made it with softened butter completely at room temperature and I have made it with the butter right out of the fridge after letting the meringue whip for about 5 minutes before adding the butter. There is really no way to screw it up (unless you scramble the whites and then you are screwed).

I agree with your points about using the unsalted butter but I also think you need to add a significant amount of vanilla for taste. I add up to three tablespoons of NM vanilla when I make a recipe.

I also agree with your point about the hot knife. For some reason mine discolors when I use a hot knife. The fall cake in my pics was done with a hot scraper and it discolored, but it wasn't a big deal.

I think the issue with coloring is the fact that since it's all butter it's yellowish in color. I know some people use candy colors but I have never done that. I have actually never colored a batch of IMBC. However, if you look at antonia74's photos she uses IMBC and it's colored brightly. Also, check out this website:

http://www.cupcakecafe-nyc.com/

Their stuff is IMBC and look how pretty their cakes are!

Look up Warren Brown from Cake Love's video on YouTube; that is exactly the way I (and several others) on CC make their IMBC.

scp1127 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 6:28am
post #5 of 6

I'm a Warren Brown fan too. His tip of getting the syrup to 245 make a much sturdier frosting.

Here are my differences:

I find butter that still resists a dent to be the best.

I whip with the paddle on medium speed when incorporating the butter.

I take it straight from the refrigerator, use the paddle on med/high, and mix it to bring it to room temp. It comes apart and re-imulsifies. I also do this with FBC and custard-based buttercreams.

I have not found a problem with tinting. I use gel colors.

I find my KA Artisan has trouble with all European buttercreams... too much heat in the head because of the small motor. The Pro610 and Heavy Duty are fine.

I use Beater Blades.

And LisaPeps got me through my second batch. I found that I gave up too soon, thinking the breakdown stage was a breakdown of the whites.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 7:01am
post #6 of 6

I like using powdered colors to color it. Candy color has an odd taste that comes through when you add too much. Gel colors don't mix in all the way for me... it stays spotty and take a lot more color to get a true color. The oil based candy colors mix right in nicely and are great if you need a soft color.

I don't like scraping after it has been chilled... it leaves streaks on the cake and looks messy to me. Best thing to do is just smooth while it's soft. You can use a warm spatula to give a nice clean finish at the end, but not hot because it melts and gets streaky. If you do chocolate IMBC/SMBC don't even use a warm knife... it streaks.

I beat my butter in at a med - med/high speed until it comes together and then reduce the speed to knock out air bubbles.

I never use salted butter because I don't like the flavor. It tastes like sweetened butter to me and when you use unsalted it tastes like vanilla ice cream. I like the butter to be soft but still firm. It shouldn't be so soft that it's oily looking, but if it is... it'll work too. It might be too soft, but let it sit for a bit and it will cool off enough to work with. I second the advice to use a lot of vanilla too... it makes a big difference.

It can stay in the fridge for a week or more and freezer for months if stored properly. It gets lumpy and curdled if you whip it when it's too cold. The butter clumps together and the liquid separates. It will go back to normal as it warms up. If it stays soupy and not curdled it's too warm. Let it sit or put it in the fridge for a bit and whip it again... it will come back from that too. You don't need to use cream or tartar with IMBC... it's not necessary.

How long it can stay out is something up for debate. You will get different thoughts from different people.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%