Weight On Cake Before Fondant?

Decorating By laceycake Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 12:58am by mplaidgirl2

laceycake Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 5

I am just starting to make cakes. I have been reading so much and would like to try to cover a cake with fondant. My question is do you always have to put weight on your cake for a while before you put fondant on it.

4 replies
Marianna46 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 5

No, but I find it helps. Another thing that helps is just letting the cake sit overnight, well-covered of course so it doesn't dry out. This can be either at room temperature, in the fridge or in the freezer. Apparently there is some air that needs to escape the cake before you put fondant on it, or else air pockets tend to form under your fondant layer. But whatever you decide to do, I think you'll find using fondant is a lot of fun.

katj012 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 12:38am
post #3 of 5

I have never used a weight on my cakes - but I also press on each layer after I fill to make sure that everything is level and all air leaks out. I also let my cakes set in the fridge for at least a half hour between each step (i.e. fill all layers - sit. Crumb coat - sit. Completely frost cake - sit. Then fondant).

Also - I read this somewhere but can't remember where, if you spray your cake with a little water before putting your fondant on, it really does help keep the fondant stuck on the cake and prevent air bubbles.

Good luck - I'm sure you will have lots of fun!

laceycake Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 12:54am
post #4 of 5

Thank you for your help.

mplaidgirl2 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 12:58am
post #5 of 5

I actually wrap my cakes in plastic wrap while they are still hot. Then stack them on top of each other (wrap them seperatly) Then like an hour later I put swap them so they push the air out of themselves.
They take about 4 hours to fully cool. But I never ever get airbubbles. and the steam in the plastic wrap seems to keep them extra moist

Quote by @%username% on %date%