How Do I Make Fondant Tissue Paper?

Decorating By Walkinmomma Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 10:46am by Walkinmomma

Walkinmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walkinmomma Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make tissue paper for a cake I am making this week. Do I use fondant, fondant/gum paste mix or straight gum paste? I know I need to roll it paper thin but do I dry it before assembly or arrange it during assembly and let it dry? Any help will be appreciated!

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 5

The way I make it is to roll fondant REALLY thin then cut it into squares (usually about 3" on a side, but the size depends on what I want it for). I then shape it by scrunching it up on the diagonal - that is, pleating it without actually making any sharp folds. I do this somewhat below the widest part. Then I let it dry that way before placing it in the box or bag I'm making. It's firm, but soft enough to cut off the bottom point with a knife before putting it on the cake if you need to. I have a picture of a boxed shirt in my photos, buy don't go by that one: that one came out so badly that that was when I asked my decorating teacher how to do tissue paper. I've since made some boxes and bags that looked a lot better, but don't have any of these in my photos. After I found out how to do this, I also made the mistake in my first few tries of putting too much tissue paper in my bags. It didn't look very realistic, but practice makes perfect! HTH!

Walkinmomma Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much, will try to make some today!

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 5

If you have a pasta machine that works really well for making tissue paper. I use a 50/50 fondant/gp mix and pass it through the machine on the thinnest setting.

Walkinmomma Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 10:46am
post #5 of 5

Wish I had a pasta maker, but don't. Will try both just fondant and 50/50 mix to judge results. Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%