Is It Possible To Make English Buttercream White?

Baking By JamAndButtercream Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 12:22pm by JamAndButtercream

JamAndButtercream Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 15

Hi Everyone,
I was just wondering, the recipe I always use for buttercream is the english version, just pure butter and icing sugar, is it possible to make this recipe white? because of the butter, it always comes out cream. Thanks for any help icon_smile.gif

14 replies
Lynsco Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 15

Hi, you can buy white gel food colouring on ebay that apparantky helps to lift the yellow icon_smile.gif

ragdollyanna77 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 15

Hi, yes can use SUPERWHITE ICING WHITENER from Sugarflair, its a powder you add to the buttercream to turn it white.

Davwattie Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamAndButtercream

Hi Everyone,
I was just wondering, the recipe I always use for buttercream is the english version, just pure butter and icing sugar, is it possible to make this recipe white? because of the butter, it always comes out cream. Thanks for any help icon_smile.gif

To be honest the white gel colouring is rubbish, use Trex in place of your butter and it will definitly be white thumbs_up.gif

JamAndButtercream Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 15

ooo! Thanks for the quick replies! icon_smile.gif

The ideas with the white food colouring sounds good,

@Davwattie - please tell me, what does the cream taste like made with trex instead of butter? its vegetable fat isn't it?

Davwattie Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 15

To be honest trex doesnt really taste of anything, I usually add vanilla essence(as clear as possible) but once its got all the icing sugar it is quite sweet anyway.

I use it loads with some cream cheese added as well for using on red velvet cakes and its very yummy!

I tried using the super white gel in and used loads and it didnt make enough difference for me so started using trex instead.

JamAndButtercream Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 15

Hi,
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try them all! Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

VentureSister Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 15

Not sure if this will help, but I remember hearing that if you add just a touch of violet to white icing it will counter the yellow tones.
Have not tried it myself though.

JamAndButtercream Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 15

@VentureSister
Hi, that sounds interesting! I think some experiments are in order! Thanks everyone!

pracha Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 15

hiya superwhite powder from sugarflair dos work but u need to use a lot. x

JamAndButtercream Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks Pracha! icon_smile.gif

auzzi Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 2:44am
post #12 of 15

Superwhite Icing Whitener = Titanium Dioxide = pigment used in foods, paints, cosmetics etc

Try using a pale unsalted European butter ..

zespri Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 7:11am
post #13 of 15

I've been told to beat the bejeezus out of the butter to turn it white before adding the icing sugar.

LisaPeps Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 7:36am
post #14 of 15

Use Lurpak, that's the whitest butter I've found. I've added a tiny bit of violet (use in small amounts, you can add but can't take away) and that works really well as the violet neutralises the yellow.

JamAndButtercream Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 12:22pm
post #15 of 15

Wow! Thanks for all your responses! I think I need the use of a science lab to try them all! icon_lol.gif Thanks guys! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%