Fresh Mint

Baking By bonniebakes Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 1:21pm by bonniebakes

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 10

I have an abundance of fresh peppermint in my garden this year and I'd like to make something delicious out of it. Do you have any recipes for how to use it to make a great ganache or other recipes for fresh peppermint that you'd be willing to share?

thanks in advance!

9 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 10

Mojitos!

bonniebakes Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 11:05am
post #3 of 10

great idea... but I was thinking more along the lines of a fresh mint filling or frosting. icon_biggrin.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 11:28am
post #4 of 10

I did a quick search on google for : "recipe for peppermint syrup" and it yielded a lot of recipes.

We have grown peppermint in the past or should I say, It took over our garden. It grows like weeds! We pulled it all out of the garden and it took several seasons to get rid of it all. Now if we want it, we grow it in a flower pot to keep it confined.
We have dried it on a cookie sheet in the oven and used it for Peppermint Tea.
I think for the purpose you are thinking of, you need a stronger version of the flavor like an extract.

I'm not a real fan of peppermint with baked goods, however I do believe the leaves make a beautiful garnish on a cake with fresh raspberries, strawberries or any other fresh fruit like lemon slices, orange slices, blueberries.

HTH

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 11:33am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

great idea... but I was thinking more along the lines of a fresh mint filling or frosting. icon_biggrin.gif

Mojito cupcakes!
Then garnish with a piece of mint painted with chocolate

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:06am
post #6 of 10

If you crushed it and then added it to whatever melted oils you'd use for frosting and let it get warm for a bit (then strain and cool) you could use it for frosting/filling!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 10

can you steep it in the cream then use the cream for ganache?

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:09am
post #8 of 10

I made some chocolate mint cupcakes using fresh mint, I'm sure peppermint would work either.
So possibly adding it chopped finely to chocolate cake?

I'll try and search for the recipe I had because I saved the site to my other computer.

Couldnt find the ones I made before but:
Mint ganche: http://cupcakeblog.com/?p=44[url]
Mint cakes and buttercream: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/winner-mint-chocolate-chip-and-fresh-mint-buttercream-cupcakes-recipe/index.html[/url]

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 1:21pm
post #10 of 10

thanks, everyone!

Texassugar - that's what I was thinking too, but is it as simple as it sounds? Any idea how much mint to put in and how long to steep it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%