Sunglasses

Decorating By cakelover13 Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 12:07am by cakelover13

cakelover13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelover13 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 5:24am
post #1 of 6

hey cakelovers i was wondering if someone could help me im make a birthday cake for a friend that has real size sunglass's. I am not sure how to make the glass for the glass's ive heard of sugar glass but i do not know if it with be thin enough?

5 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 6

It would be a mess to work with, but maybe someone with more experience than me could help you. I've made two cakes with sunglasses on them, but I've made them like the ones that have that sort of metallic finish, so they're not at all transparent (the Michael Jackson cake in my photos is like that). I've just made the whole pair of glasses out of fondant and painted over the lens part with silver luster dust in alcohol. Maybe you could do that, but paint over then lens part with piping gel, fondant glaze or something to make that part shiny.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 6

Hi

I've made two cakes with glasses and I use gelatin for the lenses. Here are the instructions:

Dissolve 1 pkt of Knox unflavored gelatin in 1/4 C. plain tap water. Let it sit 5 minutes then gently warm over low heat. If you stir it, do it slowly so you don't introduce any bubbles. Pour out onto an acetate sheet* and either tap it or spread with an offset spatula to level. Let it sit several days; it will start to pull up when ready. You can cut it with scissors. To make sunglasses, add a little food color to the water when you dissolve the gelatin.
I made the frames out of gumpaste, either rolled into thin snakes for wire rims, or cut with cutters for wild, fancy ones. The cut-out lenses are attached to the back with piping gel or gumpaste glue.

* Acetate is a clear plastic-like sheet available in art or craft stores. I tried using glass once and it didn't peel off very well. I believe it is also the material used on report covers...

I hope this helps you. They do really make realistic looking clear lenses.

Jan

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 6

Oh, Jan, great idea! I don't know why I didn't think of this, seeing as how I've been really into gelatin flowers, bows and butterflies lately. My next pair of specs will definitely be made using your technique!

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 6

Thank-you Jan for that information. I'm getting ready to do an outdoorsy cake for my Mom and wanted to use dragonflies. This would be perfect. I looked at your pics, you do beautiful work.

cakelover13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelover13 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 12:07am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much Marianna46 and
milkmaid42 for your helpful comments you helped me alot i will sure post a picture of the cake when its done !!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%