Help - Asap

Decorating By Davina_Alloway Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 3:22pm by MacsMom

Davina_Alloway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davina_Alloway Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:11am
post #1 of 13

Good evening all. I'm in the process of making the cinnamon roll cake by MacsMom and the cream cheese frosting by SeriousCakes. The cream cheese recipe says it's suppose to crust, but I'm not having any luck. I was wondering if I stuck a dowel rod down in the middle if it would help it from shifting and bulging? ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME!

TIA

PS... cake is due tomorrow AM

12 replies
Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:25am
post #2 of 13

I'm a little confused...is it too thin as a filling, or is it not crusting on the outside? A dowel won't prevent filling from bulging, you need a thick dam for that. How far into assembling/ decorating are you?

Davina_Alloway Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:29am
post #3 of 13

BOTH - it's too thin as a filling and also isn't crusting on the top. Right now, I just put a crumb coat on it and stuck it in the fridge but I know as soon as I bring it out and put the rest of the icing on top AND add the fondant, it will slide. AM I out of luck?

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:39am
post #4 of 13

Add PS

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:42am
post #5 of 13

No, don't decorate yet!! Gently slide a spatula between your layers and make sure you put a nice thick dam!!!! Your cakes will continue to slid and bulge if you don't! I learned that the hard way with cream cheese filling icon_sad.gif Your icing isn't crusting because its going into the fridge then out again, which causes condensation and the crust to moisten again. I wouldnt worry about that though if you plan to cover in fondant! Cream cheese is VERY soft icing, so just pop it in the freezer and get it nice and firm before laying the fondant! HTH!

Davina_Alloway Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:43am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama

Add PS

What's PS?

Davina_Alloway Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:45am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davina_Alloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama

Add PS

What's PS?

BRAIN FART... PS= Powdered Sugar icon_smile.gif

Davina_Alloway Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:49am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

No, don't decorate yet!! Gently slide a spatula between your layers and make sure you put a nice thick dam!!!! Your cakes will continue to slid and bulge if you don't! I learned that the hard way with cream cheese filling icon_sad.gif Your icing isn't crusting because its going into the fridge then out again, which causes condensation and the crust to moisten again. I wouldnt worry about that though if you plan to cover in fondant! Cream cheese is VERY soft icing, so just pop it in the freezer and get it nice and firm before laying the fondant! HTH!

I know from past experiance that I've had problems with it so I only chose to put it in the fridge as a last resort. Should I make the dam with the cream cheese? Or should I use some thing like fondant?

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:56am
post #9 of 13

For the dam: add so much PS to some of the icing to the point where you can pipe it through a coupler without a tip, but with difficulty. If the filling is sloppy you'll need to add enough PS to make at least a soft icing--consistency of pudding--or stiffer. Icing for the side of the cake needs to be stiff enough to pipe a rose that holds its shape. Get enough PS in there and it will crust, although it does seem to take longer with cream cheese.

Davina_Alloway Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 5:30am
post #10 of 13

Thanks so much for everyone's help! I'll post a pic as soon as it's done.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 6:03am
post #11 of 13

Next time for the filling and frosting, melt 12 oz white chocolate and beat in 8 oz cream chz. Add 2 tsp vanilla. Beat well. icon_smile.gif

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 1:44pm
post #12 of 13

You can't make a dam with cream cheese icing! It needs to be BC! Cream cheese icing gets softer with more sugar (strange huh!?) I tried that with my cake disaster too...made things worse icon_sad.gif Cream cheese icing is just too soft use as a dam....I now use a BC dam on ALL cakes, even just a BC filling because it has completely stopped any and all bulges! I hope you post pics when you are finished! I would like to see icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 13

I mix cake scraps with BC for my dam.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%