Which Aussie Cream Do I Use For Chocolate Ganache?

Baking By CakemummyCC Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 3:25am by Bec005

CakemummyCC Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 12:27am
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I am thoroughly confused as to which type of cream I should use for a chocolate ganache, to be used as filling inside layers and to go under the fondant of my cake. I already know the ratio but which type?. Some recipes say not to use cream with gelatine, which here in Australia would be "thickened cream"?. Can someone tell me what brand or name of cream I would find in Australia?
Also, I want the inside ganache to be like truffle texture, softer than the outside layer which goes under the fondant...is it the same recipe for both?
Thanking you in advance....

4 replies
Charmed Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 12:46am
post #2 of 5

I don't know about aussie creams but I know that you can use cream that is 35% fat content and over. whipping cream has 30% fat, Heavy whipping cream has 35-46% fat, double cream has 48% fat.

SharonWeeCreations Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 12:54am
post #3 of 5

Hi CakemummyCC,

I would recommend using pouring cream because the geletin in the thickened cream will make the ganache set really hard. Dairy Farmers does the pouring cream (blue carton) or there is also another brand in a white carton (can't remember the brand) but it is called pouring cream.

Also if you want your filling to have a softer truffle texture, just increase the cream to chocolate ratio when you make your ganache.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Sharon

CakemummyCC Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:01am
post #4 of 5

SharonWeeCreations,

Thank you for your help, is pouring cream the same as "pure cream"? could not find pouring cream here...
By the way, I love, love, love your cakes....I have a Torana cake to do this weekend..obviously will not be anywhere near as amazing as yours, I was blown away!!

Bec005 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 3:25am
post #5 of 5

I use thickened cream all the time I tried pure cream and there was no difference at all so I went back to thickened because it was cheaper and easier to find in my rural town.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%