Question About Fbct For A Beginner

Decorating By Mookie122 Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 2:33am by Linda2010

Mookie122 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 8

I've done some research on here and have viewed over a hundred photos about fbct. I'm curious to know if the transfer should be leveled with the cake's icing or should it be raised with piping outlining it. I will be doing the cake for my 20th year class reunion in a week and have been asked to place the crest on it. HELP PLEASEEEEE!!!! icon_cry.gif

7 replies
poohsmomma Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 2:16am
post #2 of 8

I usually just lay the transfer on the cake, let it thaw and crust, then use the VIVA method to gently smooth it. It isn't the same level as the cake's frosting, but I don't need to pipe a border around it. In the cake below, the black outline is just the outlining I did on the transfer itself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjscakes/4483560457/in/photostream

Mookie122 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I usually just lay the transfer on the cake, let it thaw and crust, then use the VIVA method to gently smooth it. It isn't the same level as the cake's frosting, but I don't need to pipe a border around it. In the cake below, the black outline is just the outlining I did on the transfer itself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjscakes/4483560457/in/photostream

Thanks so much for the link to your photo. It's very pretty. Thanks for the help. icon_biggrin.gif

Linda2010 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 8

Can you do a FBCT on a fondant cake?

jules5000 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 8

Linda, I wouldn't want to try it. I don't know if any of the others have that experience or not, but I really don't think that it would work. When you put the transfer on the cake(buttercream ) it is not the same level, but I have found in the very few that I have done that it seems to just kind of blend with the other icing when it thaws out and to me it has seemed that it was level. Maybe that is what happens after the fbct isn't frozen anymore because it is on the cake. So if that is what happens with mine where would it blend to if it was fondant? Maybe someone else can answer your question that has more experience with it. It will be an interesting thing to find.

TexasSugar Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 8

It depends on the look you are going for. If you want it flush with the cake top, then you can make it that way, icing around it to the size of the cake. If you don't mind it being raised (everyone one of mine in my photos are raised) then just make your transfer and add it to the already iced cake.

It really is your choice, and there is no right or wrong way to do it.

As far as the question about a fbct being used on a fondant cake, my answer would be why not? I haven't done it personally, but really it would be just like piping buttercream decorations on top of a fondant cake, which is totally possible.

jules5000 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 8

Indydebbie, thank you for your response. I had images of it not working in my head. I can't say why, I just did. I guess that there is no reason why it wouldn't work, but I also imagined that if the sides of the buttercream transfer were not real neat I would not want that showing and I guess the obvious solution to that woud be to put a border around the transfer. Duh? We all learn so much on here from each other and that is why I love it. Thanks again everyone for so many wonderful responses.

Linda2010 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 2:33am
post #8 of 8

Thank you for your responses, and I agree with you Jules. That is why I love this site. It is so nice to have the aid of so many nice people. I will do the same if anyone has any question. Please count on me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%