Getting Gumpaste A Deep Red/

Decorating By kathmaud1251 Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 12:22pm by hamie

kathmaud1251 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make a red shoe,how do i get the gumpaste a deep red without it being too sticky or pink thanks.

6 replies
cakesrock Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 7

You need to use a super red. Americolor makes one and it's awesome. I order large bottles of the super red and super black online. That is the only way I have found to get the the deep red. You could also buy it. Sometimes I buy red and black to save myself the hassle...

seikelc Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 7

I don't like a true red. But I add a little brown from the american colors. That works for me.

carmijok Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 7

I use a mix of super red and touch of maroon Americolor gels. If you can't find maroon, use a touch of brown. The red roses in the picture of my first (and last) wedding cake in my gallery (first pic) are the color that combo gets to.

Also, remember gum paste dries lighter than fondant. If I have a gum paste item (like a ball cap brim) that needs to match the cap, I will paint over the dried gum paste with the gel color mixed with extract (or vodka) to deepen the color on the gum paste. I had to do that with the purple ball cap in my photo gallery and the navy blue on the Maverick's logo on top of my basketball cake.

cakestyles Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 12:02am
post #5 of 7

When I need something to be really deep red I tint the gp as red as I can without compromising the recipe and than after the item dries I go over it with my airbrush to get it really dark.

Fairytale Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 11:53am
post #6 of 7

I honestly just keep adding red until it is exactly the perfect color. My GP will be super sticky, but then I just starting adding powdered sugar to get it back up the the right consistency. (I do this with black and moss green too). I've never had any problem with it changing the workability or integrity of the GP. However, I would never do this with fondant, just GP.

hamie Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 7

You can also get A powder red color. I use both if I need a red rose. I will use a touch I'd brown gel color and the red powder. The liquid from the gel makes it easier to work the powder in but keeps the gp from getting sticky.

Or if I have the time, I order colors like red or black already premade to save the hassle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%