Chocolate Won't Melt Help

Baking By BoozeBabe Updated 13 Aug 2011 , 10:24pm by psurrette

BoozeBabe Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 6

A pro baker gave me 10 lbs of Guittard chocolate chips. I thought I could make ganache for the 80 cupcakes on my counter. I got cream to boiling point, poured over chocolate chips and waited a couple minutes. I stirred. Chocolate is NOT melting. Cream is light tan. Chips are still holding their shape. They are barely soft. Now what do I do??? I need to frost these things fast.

5 replies
lilmissbakesalot Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 6

I let my chocolate sit for 5 minutes in the scalded cream before mixing. I'd place the whole mixture in a metal or glass bowl and set it over some boiling water and let it get warmer.

scp1127 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 6

I have pro chef recipes that use nothing but a pan and the two ingredients... right on the stove. It is more forgiving than we know.

Cream is not supposed to boil, only simmer. Did the chocolate sieze?

BoozeBabe Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 6

No it didn't boil. It just got foamy but was really hot. I'm thinking it's the type of chocolate? I just got it from a baker the other day and have never had any experience with it. And he isn't available today to answer a question. For the most part the choc. chips just won't soften. I put the metal bowl over the heat to see if they would melt & blend if I got it really hot again but they didn't.

Oh well guess I'll just make a frosting and start over. POO I wanted ganache.

scp1127 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 6

I think cream/milk simmers at 185. I use a thermometer. But I don't get it that hot for ganache. If it siezed, you will not get it to melt. I am stumped after that.

psurrette Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 6

first of all chocolate chips are made not to melt.. Either set it over another boil of water and wait or put it in the microwave but be careful not to burn it. you can also add melted crisco to help it melt

Quote by @%username% on %date%